bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Setting up Associations/groups for use with 3-way switches  (Read 4757 times)

Offline jnowland

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Setting up Associations/groups for use with 3-way switches
« on: January 19, 2015, 08:21:13 pm »
I have been trying to replace a currently installed 3-way switch with a z-wave 3-wave unit.  However, according to the switch's included documentation,  an "association" is required to be set up in order to associate the two switches together.  This is primarily related to the Linear switches where the WT00Z-1 Wall Mount Accessory Dimmer Switch allows remote ON/OFF control and dimming of lights controlled by associated Z-Wave modules, creating virtual 3-way switches. I do not see any way to do this on the Almond+.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:35:02 pm by jnowland »

Vito

Re: Setting up Associations/groups for use with 3-way switches
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:29:42 pm »
After spending a little time researching these switches, it seems they work differently than the Leviton switches that I have (as well as the other brands).  I may purchase a set just to try them out.  Unfortunately, it's not clear to me if these switches require functionality within the Almond+ in order to work properly - but my guess is they do.

Offline jnowland

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:54:31 pm »
Vito,
Yes, it does not only require the Almond+, but they require what's called a minmote to do the association. Really nice switches, primarily because they work with LED bulbs. However,  to require a third party device to get the two switches to work together as a 3-way is a huge negative. Besides, the Almond+ does not support groups so it is neither here nor there. I ordered the GE version, which uses a traveler wire. The downside is that the GE dimmer switches don't work with anything other than incandescent bulbs.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
The Leviton R02-DZMX1-1LZ 3 way switches will work with LEDs . Not sure why GE is so far behind the times with LED dimmers.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:15:40 am »
LED dimmers are a bit more complex and expensive to make, as you need a leading edge rather than a trailing edge dimmer.

Also note that GE doesn't make the products, it's Jasco that makes them, so it'd be up to them.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.