Choose style:

Author Topic: Security Panels  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Security Panels
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »
Originally, I figured I could use the Almond+ as a security panel for an alarm system.  Don't see that happening soon, so what security panels are people using with their Almond+?  Want to make sure I can keep the Almond+ as my primary home automation hub and essentially have the security panel act as a device that can trigger sensors/be triggered through the Almond+.

Was considering the Honeywell L5100 (with Z-Wave module), but want to see if anyone else had tried it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Ademco-L5100-Wireless-Control/dp/B008BLRVLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422478224&sr=8-1&keywords=zwave+alarm+panel
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:19:57 pm by Blueiris8 »

Offline Oendaril

• Backer
Re: Security Panels
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:02 pm »
I have an L5100 and in fact was able to get it to pair with the almond+ as a secondary controller but it was very not supported (it shows up as an unknown device in almond+) and does not support secure devices like locks. Lights and thermostats did appear to work properly though.

Oh, and I believe they have a newer panel out now (the l5200 and l7000) which adds camera support as well.

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:03:27 pm »
Does it show up in the rules?  So can you allow it to trigger something through the Almond+ or have the almond+ trigger it?  For example, if there was a rule that "If security is armed and front door opens, trigger siren.  Or "if front door opens, trigger security voice command". Don't think all of that would be ready yet, but does it at least show in the list?

Offline Oendaril

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »
the lynx panel is z-wave enabled, and the way a secondary controller works in z-wave is simply that the primary controller (the almond+) controls what nodes are added or not and then it just sends all of the node info to your secondary controller (the l5100).  They don't directly communicate to each other to trigger rules, each has their own controlling mechanism to the items added to the network.

As such, the l5100 does have the ability to trigger things but only based off of the stuff added to and supported on the l5100 panel.  For your rule there, it would work fine if you used a honeywell door sensor and a honeywell siren, but the panel doesn't support z-wave door contacts or z-wave sirens (only lights thermostats and locks).

The almond+ will never have any knowledge of the armed/disarmed state of your security panel, even if it was fully supporting secondary controllers.

Offline Automate

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:54:09 am »
primary controller (the almond+) controls what nodes are added or not and then it just sends all of the node info to your secondary controller (the l5100).
How did you get this synchronization to occur?

Offline Oendaril

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 06:34:28 pm »
I did it by guessing, basically. I treated it like other controllers do and entered the almond+ into inclusion mode. Then, I went into the lynx 5100's z-wave advanced area and set the controller into "learning" mode.  It picked up the include and then included itself as a secondary controller. Part of the process is then syncing the nodes from the primary to the secondary, which is when all the nodes showed up.  Unfortunately since the almond+ doesn't really know all about controllers it didn't share the private key needed to enroll the secured nodes as secured.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.