bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: [solved] Can't re-connect dimmers - Linear WD500Z  (Read 7112 times)

Offline MusicPDX

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
[solved] Can't re-connect dimmers - Linear WD500Z
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:17:02 pm »
Added two more Linear WD500Z dimmers today, I have 4 total. Was having problems connecting the new ones, so tried "remove all" devices in the Almond+ UI. Hoping start-over would help. Apparently a really bad idea. Now, cannot get any Dimmers to connect to Almond.

- Tried the 'purging ghost sensor' instructions - did not help.
- I was able to re-connect the Peanut plug and a power outlet, so some devices are connecting to Almond. Just not the dimmers.
- completely un-powered the dimmers with their power disconnect toggle, turned back on then tried pairing again. No dice
- also tried cutting the circuit breaker, and restarting them. No dice.
- re-started the Almond and tried steps above again. Still no dimmers

Thanks in advance for help you can offer.  I'm really stuck

best regards
Rob
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:22:25 pm by MusicPDX »

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Can't re-connect dimmers - Linear WD500Z
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:56:25 pm »
MusicPDX,

Try removing one of the dimmers via the normal add/remove sensor on the LCD UI, then see if you can add it back.  I know, the sensor isn't initially connected to the A+ (at least, as far as the A+ knows), but I think this actually does something to the sensor also, and resets it so it can pair again.  I believe this "unpair the sensor" is a standard trick for resetting sensors that may have been paired to a different controller.

Offline MusicPDX

• Chestnut
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:03:25 pm »
Thank you -- since I used "remove all sensors", no dimmers show up at all anymore in the LCD UI. So not sure how I can reset or "exclude" the devices.

Having same problem with the Aeon door open sensor

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:45:43 pm »
Ugh...
Remove all simply purges the data from the Almond+, it doesn't reset the sensors.
Simply use the remove option under add sensor, do what you did to add the specific sensor/device when you added it the first time and it'll be removed/reset. This also works for sensors/devices that have never been connected to the Almond+. Now you can add them back using the add option.
This is how Z-Wave was designed, unlike ZigBee where you can reset a sensor from the sensor itself.

Offline MusicPDX

• Chestnut
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:37:16 pm »
Thank you for bailing me out, Lars!  With that approach, I got the door sensor and two of the four Dimmers working. Two dimmers won't get removed nor added so they are a head-scratcher. The A+ just waits for a signal no matter what I try. 

One of those non-connecting dimmers was working yesterday, so I know the switch isn't broken. The other is new. If any other troubleshooting ideas come to mind, I'd appreciate. Thanks again.

For benefit of other users with these same dimmers, they require a double-click at top or bottom of the dimmer switch in order for the Almond+ to remove them. Doesn't say that in the dimmer manual.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:23:14 pm by MusicPDX »

Offline MusicPDX

• Chestnut
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:57 pm »
Found a solution! I shut down A+, took it near the dimmers in the hall, let it boot up, and dimmers connected just fine. When I put A+ back in its normal location, connections remained.

Again, thanks all for helping me out. I really appreciate it. Excited about this technology, but really new to it!

Cheers
Rob

LGNilsson

Re: [solved] Can't re-connect dimmers - Linear WD500Z
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:04:29 pm »
No worries, it's a bit of a hassle, but it's supposed to be a security feature, or so they claim. You're not the first one to have this problem...
Also, Z-Wave sensors/devices should technically be within 3 feet/1 meter of the gateway/Z-Wave controller when adding/removing sensors.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.