bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Wired Access Point?  (Read 3963 times)

Offline yonkiman

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Wired Access Point?
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:21:30 pm »
I assumed I could use this as a Wired Access Point, but I can't see how to do this.  To be clear, I want to use a wired connection from another router instead of repeating a wireless connection.

Is this possible?

Amritendu

Re: Wired Access Point?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:18:30 pm »
Yes, this is possible. You need an ethernet connection from the first router to the WAN port of the Almond+. The option AP mode (avilable on second screen if you tap on more on the LCD UI) should be enabled.

P.S. Almond+ should have latest firmware.

Offline xaminmo

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:53 am »
Yes, what Amritendu said, plus, if you're using the other 4 ports as a local switch, you have to use the first LAN port, else the other three won't be active.
Geek, pilot, cyclist, parent.

Offline mjohns254

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »
I am a bit confused about the configuration of the Almond+ as an access point.  It is currently running as an extender.  I have the old Almond also running as an extender in another room. I want to use my Almond+ as an access point.  I currently have a Comcast Xfinity cable modem that has the wireless network bridged to a Netgear AC wireless router.  How do I set up the Almond+ Ethernet connection.  In other words, do I plug my Almond+ WAN port into a LAN port on the Netgear wireless router or do I plug in the Ethernet to a LAN port on the Cable Modem.?  (I am on the latest Almond+ SW release)
I am concerned about DHCP IP address conflicts and I am by no means a technical expert.  I just want it to work without going into static IP selection.

By the way, as an extender, the Almond+ is only marginally better than the Almond.  I have done speed tests on both side by side and the Almond+ is slightly faster.  I don't think the signal strength is much different.

Any help appreciated. 

Offline jmschnur

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:05 pm »
5ghz wireless extender  mode works very well for me from a R7000 wired to a Fios  router

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:39:55 pm »
If you want to use it as an access point it must be plugged into your router. I am experiencing faaaar superior coverage and speed using the Almond+ over the original almond.

Offline mjohns254

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:39:19 pm »
I did get it working in AP mode.  It is much faster in 5G mode, but it seems to drop every so often

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck