bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: range for controlling z-wave devices?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline jclimber99

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
range for controlling z-wave devices?
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:55:28 pm »
What kind of range are y'all able to get for controlling z-wave devices from the A+?  I'm interested in controlling a z-wave outdoor module from inside, but right now I have to use my z-wave controller pretty close to a window to control a device about 25 ft from the outside wall.

Vito

Re: range for controlling z-wave devices?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:26 pm »
The best way to handle that is to find a device that you could put outside, to extend the mesh range - such as an outlet or a motion sensor.  25 feet is pushing the limits, without a doubt.  I remember running into some trouble adding a 4in1 sensor against the outside of my garage, until I added some devices in the garage.  Just work your way from inside out.

Offline jclimber99

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »
Thanks Vito, good advice.  I can try adding a z-wave switch on my back porch light, that may extend the range enough for me.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 01:45:58 pm »
I have a z-wave device in the garage for the garage door, and it's about 30 feet and 2 walls away.  I also have a z-wave outlet on the back deck with 1 wall and about the same distance.  Both have worked flawlessly.

Now the zigbee door/window sensor in the garage on the garage door doesn't seem to always report the correct status, but it's another 8 feet away, so I'm not surprised.  Hoping to switch it over to z-wave, and also add something else in between to solidify the connection for both of the garage devices.  That and I'm a geek and want everything z-wave now, so that's my excuse.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.