Choose style:

Author Topic: Any FIOS users out there with an Almond+....?  (Read 4872 times)

Offline techvudu

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Any FIOS users out there with an Almond+....?
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:38:23 am »
Looking for other FIOS users out there with an Almond+. I'm running mine now offline using it only as a wireless AP simply by plugging a cable from my Actiontek lan port to an almond+ lan port. Mainly bought the Almond to handle WiFi duties and of course home automation. Just wondering what setup anyone else is running. I know there are a half dozen options with pros/cons to each configuration. Hoping AP mode get fixed soon.
Almond+ Backer

Offline tinkerman

• Backer
Re: Any FIOS users out there with an Almond+....?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:32:24 am »
i have a ubiquiti edgerouter lite for the router/firewall part...and almond+ for an AP and z-wave handling...while waiting for securifi to fix their stuff.

Offline shay

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:50:45 am »
I have FIOS.  If you have FIOS TV and their STBs, then you have to have the actiontec in the mix.  I don't it has to be the primary router.  If you don't and have ethernet connection to your ONT, then you can the almond+ or any other router for that matter as the primary.  I have an airport extreme has my primary router and then the almond+ as an access point.  Here's the matrix of how to set it up:  http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Offline techvudu

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:36:12 pm »
I'm currently using setup #3. I pretty much replaced my aging Linksys with the Almond+. I am still using coax from the ONT but may move to Cat5 and see what my options are. Before I lost too many DVR features when I did that. May be different now.
Almond+ Backer

Offline shay

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:45:31 pm »
You can switch to cat 5 without losing anything.  I would also recommend that you price out the TiVo lifetime vs Verizon's DVRs.  You will pay back your cost fairly quickly ~2.5 years depending what you have.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 10:15:31 pm »
Isn't there a shim/adapter box for bridging MoCA to Ethernet which will fix the box channel guide issue. I vaguely have heard of such a beast.

Offline thebaldgeek

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 11:59:22 pm »
I have been using Fios with my Linksys (Tomato) directly connected (I just have Internet with them, no phone or TV).   
Been very happy with that setup and its been rock solid.

Backed the A+ since I wanted the extra modems for some home automation options.
What a train wreck.
Can not get port 80 forward working to my webserver. Their web gui takes over both LAN and WAN port 80 (Yes, I went into SSH and added the host.bind, but that did not work for me).
In fact, no port forward rules work at all.
On the upside, I get my 25/25 from the A+ (I only get 20/20 from the Linksys).
Had to remove the Almond. Will wait until they release some firmware that makes it a router.

Note, nothing to do with the Almond+, but when you don't run the Actiontec, and change routers on Fios, you need to ring the service center and get them to restart their modem. Till then, you will not have any Internet.

Offline tinkerman

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:50:34 am »
Isn't there a shim/adapter box for bridging MoCA to Ethernet which will fix the box channel guide issue. I vaguely have heard of such a beast.

i've used one before by netgear MCA1001 but that was when i was not able to run a cat5 to the router from the ONT. not sure about the channel guide issue. right now my Actiontech is behind my router and my tv boxes have working channel guides.

but when you don't run the Actiontec, and change routers on Fios, you need to ring the service center and get them to restart their modem. Till then, you will not have any Internet.

if you changed media from coax to ethernet..you need to call. if you're just changing routers; i.e. you're already on ethernet or you have the moca adapter, you can avoid calling them by copying the WAN mac address from the Actiontech to your new router's WAN port.

Offline tacain

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »
I have FIOS.  If you have FIOS TV and their STBs, then you have to have the actiontec in the mix. 

Actually, no.  I've been running FiOS for many years without the Actiontec.  Threw that POS in the trash long ago.  TV works find with Tivo on a cablecard and one of their settop boxes.  I get program listing stuff just fine.  Now, I don't buy PPV or anything like that, so, don't know how well that will work.  I do know that VZ's remote debug stuff won't work either.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.

bottleneck