bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: USB Printer support  (Read 6748 times)

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
USB Printer support
« on: January 14, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »
Since the last mention I can find of USB printer support is from Sept 14 and it just says coming soon and I just tried hooking up my printer and got nothing. I can't find anything in any of the setting for printers. I assume that we are still waiting for the firmware to support network printers ?
If I am just too stupid to find it, I would appreciate somebody pointing me in the right direction.

LGNilsson

Re: USB Printer support
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:49:40 pm »
It's hidden in Advanced, OpenWRT. I can't remember in which menu off the top of my head though.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:16 pm »
Thanks Lars, I found it, it's under services. Next question, where do I find the required kmod-usb-printer package it says I need to install ?

Or am I better off just contacting support ? I figured posting here was better so everybody would have the info

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:37:30 pm »
Hmmm... I haven't tested it, I expected it all to be working.
I'll have to ask the software team what's going on.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:23:03 am »
I dropped an email to support. If I get an answer I'll post it here for everybody.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:12 pm »
My reply from support. I guess the reason we can't find the needed file is because it isn't there yet :)

Unfortunately, we did not add support for the USB printer yet and if you install the package through Open WRT there is a lot of possibility that it may not work properly. Hence, I would kindly request you to wait for future firmware update which would give you full support for the USB printers.

Offline RickinMA

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 04:43:29 pm »
My A+ showed up today - pleasant surprise to have USPS deliver on a sunday - anyway, i had a tough time getting it to play nice with my FIOS router for a little while, but once I got through that it seems pretty cool.  I'm looking forward to the home automation interface, but for me, printer support is most important - this won't have the required Wife Acceptance Factor without it

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 02:03:01 am »
Apparently the kmod-usb-printer package is there, they implemented it on Kernel level. The problem is that not all printers work, so if you have an older printer, it's likely to work, but newer printers might not as they default to storage mode when you connect them to a new "PC" to install the driver and this is potentially what's causing some problems.

Let me know if you got it working.

Offline error404

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:11:55 pm »
I'm not OP but here is how I got my (quite old) USB printer to work with the Almond+:

Connect printer via USB (duh).

Almond+ web interface -> Advanced -> OpenWRT -> go to Services -> p910nd printer server

Tick the enabled box.

Set device to /dev/usb/lp0

Then add the printer as a networking printer with your Almonds IP address in your computer (there are some short and nice instructions for various OSes here)

Best regards,
error404

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 06:08:04 am »

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 17 queries.