bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Help with bridged two router config  (Read 4406 times)

Offline dataguy

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Help with bridged two router config
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:30:18 pm »
Hi everyone. I could use some community advice on how to network my A+ in a two router configuration.

I have an ISP wireless router that for a variety of reasons I don't want to replace with the A+. Let's call the LAN segment off of this router Legacy_LAN and the bridged Wi-Fi Legacy_WLAN. Both use the 192.168.1.0 subnet.

I've been using the A+ as an Ethernet switch successfully with one A+ LAN port uplinked to the LAN switch of the ISP router, but a variety of A+ functions do not seem to work unless there's an Internet connection out of the A+ WAN port. Let's call the LAN segment Almond_LAN and bridged Wi-Fi Almond_WLAN_2.4gHz and Almond_WLAN_5gHz. They use the 10.10.10.0 subnet.

I've been trying--unsuccessfully--to get the two subnets to co-exist or to collapse everything to one big bridged setup so that everything can talk to each other (e.g. wired or wireless clients can access each other directly). I can connect the WAN port of the A+ to a legacy LAN port, and everything works as expected: both A+ and legacy clients can get to the Internet, talk within their subnet, and of course legacy clients can't access the A+ clients. I expect that from the NAT and firewall setup. But I can't get beyond that to allow everything in 192.168.1.0 to talk to 10.10.10.0.

I've tried changing the firewall zone rules, bridge groups, IP subnets, etc. but can't get it to work. It's also fairly maddening to make changes that trigger IP changes on either the router or the computer I'm configuring the router from. So I thought I'd ask for help before banging my head on my desk anymore. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Fredrik

• Backer
Re: Help with bridged two router config
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:18:37 am »
Have you tried running the A+ in bridged mode with the LAN-cable connected to the WAN-port? I run like that and it should solve your needs.

Offline dataguy

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:53:03 pm »
Have you tried running the A+ in bridged mode with the LAN-cable connected to the WAN-port? I run like that and it should solve your needs.
Thanks, Fredrik...I'm at a loss as to how to do that in the configuration. Any tips on how to put the A+ into bridged mode?

Offline thanthos

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:40:20 am »
This is what I did. I have 2 routers and the one which has the WAN aka Internet link is the Master and my A+ is the secondary. So from the master I connect to the secondary via the LAN port. I config the secondary to be a LAN client and AP (Access Point). The master will issue out the IP address and the necessary config. So everything can talk to one another.

(Although I did use the DHCP to whitelist my A+ such that it always have the same IP.)

Offline Fredrik

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:34:41 pm »
Thanks, Fredrik...I'm at a loss as to how to do that in the configuration. Any tips on how to put the A+ into bridged mode?

Good question. I don't remember anymore. :)

But looking in the web UI and in the Touch UI I am 99% sure it is called "Access Point mode", when clicking that in the Web UI it asks: "Do you want to create a transparent network bridge?"

Offline thanthos

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:01:23 am »
YES TO THAT

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:01:34 am »
Sounds like you want an access point. Ethernet cable should be plugged into almond from your other router and then select access point mode from the TouchUI. If that isn't working make sure the ethernet is in the correct jack (should be the one with the little cloud when looking at it) and that it is fully seated, some cheaper ones take extra force to "click" into place. If that doesn't work let us know or try the support they are very helpful.

Offline dataguy

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »
Thanks to Frederik, thanthos, and mparadis! Yes, it's AP mode, and it's working like a charm. It threw me off because the GUI wizard prompts you to disconnect all Ethernet cables, but clearly it works as a transparent bridge for both wired and wireless connections. Everything, including the Internet connected features, seems to be working normally. Thanks again!

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 06:08:02 pm »
That's what the forum is for! Enjoy your almond+!

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.

bottleneck