bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Cannot connect Almond router with Motorola SB6141 Cable Modem  (Read 35074 times)

LGNilsson

Re: Cannot connect Almond router with Motorola SB6141 Cable Modem
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:46 pm »
Just ping our support team and they'll help you out http://www.securifi.com/support

Offline criveraf

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 12:33:55 am »
Another thing you can do (but its a waste of a switch) is to connect a network switch Ethernet cable to the Motorola SB 6141 and a second Ethernet cable to the Almond WAN port just to see if that works.
I am guessing that any old switch will do fine for a test.

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!! I re-tried this suggestion (putting a switch between the modem and the router) and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!! That to me means one thing: that both the router and the modem seem to be operational and perhaps none are bad/damaged.

However, this also raises a big question that I hope you guys can explain: WHY???!!!! Why a switch between them makes them see each other and not on a direct connection???

This switch is very old. The modem is still working at a lower speed (the ethernet link indicator on the front of the modem is amber instead of blue).

I really need a rationale here.... Why this is working this way?  And if you guys have a logical and accurate explanation, maybe we could figure out the real fix to the modem/router direct connection issue, perhaps by configuration or something?

LGNilsson

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 12:53:26 am »
 ??? ??? ???

That's about as odd as it gets and I'm afraid I have no answer to your question as to why.

The Almond is only 10/100, but it's possible that somehow the modem doesn't sense the speed correctly or vice versa so the two don't communicate.

We've got one of the white modems in for testing with our west coast based engineer and we'll try to replicate your issue.

Offline t0dbld

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:09 am »
Nearly 1 year and still no solution to this is unacceptable. Motorola is pretty much the standard in docsis  3 cable modems, how was this not thoroughly tested pre-production is beyond me.  Also the exclusion of a gigabyte port was more than an oversight......... fooled me once

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 09:47:01 am »
Welcome to the Securifi forum t0dbld.

Nearly 1 year and still no solution to this is unacceptable.

The solution above using a older switch worked.  The issue is/was relating to the auto sensing LAN port network interface on the Motorola Modem.  Here I had some issues relating to the autosensing Motorola Gb connection to an Intel NIC on my firewall.  The Motorola SB-6141 NIC issues are well documented on many different ISP forums.  The 10/100Mbs network port on the Almond is there by design. 

Yeah it is more than the ISP firmware / configurations on your Motorola SB6141 and relating whether you purchased it 3rd party or got it from your ISP.

It is understood that the Almond / Almond 2015 has 10/100 Mbps NIC ports versus the Almond + having 10/100/1000 Gbs.

It was relating to what the ISP wanted to do with the modem such that the same said ISP provided modems typically cause no issues.

The trending today though is the purchase / lease of a combination modem, router, firewall, access point, switch provided by your ISP, providing free local wireless access and managed by your local ISP with a support charge (aside from monthly) for any changes you want to do with the device (internally); this a bit late in the game as purely from the standpoint of internet access the bigger players will just push out the old legacy stuff soon. 

Here personally never did purchase/lease any internet devices from ISP.  I had to go with the Verizon FIOS combo box and just bridged one port on the device to my own firewall and use their device for the STB's only today. 

The cable modem's while with Docis 3.0 (2006) can push go over 100Mbs; most ISP providers didn't offer these speeds to residential connections unless you paid a premium for your connection.  That said the "game" is changing and new base internet speeds are around the corner. 

Today unrelated to the Almond I have multiple devices connected to the 1Gb Motorola SB 6141 and they work fine.  This is my 4th Motorola modem purchase in 15 years now.  Arris purchased Motorola and changed production facilities such that the Arris modem is probably similiar in design but not the same these days.

Arris bought Motorola's cable business from Google. Part of that agreement means Arris has some amount of time to use the "stylized M logo" Motorola is known for. After that you won't see these modems branded as Motorola, they will simply be Arris SURFboard/Touchstone. In that thread you'll see white and black/other colors of modems from them. The white modems will be retail and have the SURFboard moniker, the black MSO modems with have the Touchstone branding. During the transition you'll see mixes of those brands until it finally settles down into its more static format.

Here is a quickie snapshot of some of 8 interfaces on my firewall today (one WAN connection is connected to the Motorola SB6141).

Here I do multiple a la carte internet streaming, have multiple cloud connections, et al and never exceed and go way less than 100Mbs of throughput on my Motorola SB6141.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:43:06 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

LGNilsson

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 02:31:21 am »
Yes, contact the support team, they'll help you.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.