bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: PetSafe Smart Dog Door (Zigbee)  (Read 11577 times)

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
PetSafe Smart Dog Door (Zigbee)
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:13:34 am »
Bought it at Lowes and it has Iris markings, so I assumed it wouldn't work.  Fortunately, it paired quickly and was recognized as a door lock.  Locks and unlocks just fine from the LCD UI.  Haven't tested other interfaces yet.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: PetSafe Smart Dog Door (Zigbee)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:31:22 pm »
Do you have the model number and what it cost? I could not find it listed on Lowes.com (although I found a listing for the door's "SmartKeys". When I looked at PetSafe's website I would guess it is the SmartDoor but it does not list ZigBee (nor does their site search have any results for ZigBee) in the product description. Their Passport pet door does mention more about wireless and being able to make changes to it even when not at home... As a note, neither manual mentions ZigBee either...
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:52:25 pm »
The manual list it as Model HPA15-13808.  The only place I've seen them is in stores.  Had similir issues trying to research them online, which is why I figured it wouldn't work..  Think it was $220 at Lowe's.

Edit:
Found it:  http://m.lowes.com/pd/PetSafe-Large-White-Plastic-Door-or-Wall-Pet-Door-%28Actual:-16-in-x-11-in%29/50041916
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:59:04 pm by Blueiris8 »

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:07:11 pm »
A little more testing done. 
1. Show up as non-supported in iOS and Android apps.
2. The door has 3 settings, Locked, Unlocked and Automatic (which locks and unlocks based on proximity to a Smart Tag).  The LCD UI has 2 setting Lock and Unlock.  However,  while unlock does unlock the dog door, Lock sets it to Automatic (which does typically result in the dog door being locked).
3. Recognized in the local UI, but can't seem to control it.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:15:56 pm »
You know, I looked right over that one before when searching for PetSafe because it did not have ANY information in the title that mentioned Iris (unlike almost everything else even related). Hopefully you have better luck with it than the one review... That did not sound like a happy buyer.

I really wish I could tell if this was a match to the SmartDoor... PetSafe sells the SmartDoor (which APPEARS to be the same one), size Large, from their site for $179.99 (free shipping over $50). The manual has different part numbers but there are mentions in the SmartThings forum about the SmartDoor using ZigBee http://community.smartthings.com/t/petsafe-smartdoor/9719.

One thing I saw a question for (without the world's clearest answer): Can you set it to unlock in one direction only? IE: Make sure the dogs come in at night but cannot go back out?

Keep us informed how it works out.

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 10:31:41 pm »
So far the door works well.  The only issue with it is that it makes a loud pop noise when it unlocks.  This seems to make my dog walk away (which defeats the purpose).   However, my dog scares very easily.  Hopefully he gets used to it.  I don't see a way to lock it directionally.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:33:20 am »
Thanks. That there would be a major sticking point for us. We use our pet door for cats and sometimes we need to confine them to a section of the house (allergic guests, or when we do not want them messing with things) and letting them go to their food (or litter) but not being able to come back out is much easier than catching them to begin with.

I would think it would be useful for animals going outdoors as well...

This is another product I am thinking of lots of interesting uses for IF it just had some additional features. Oh well.

Besides the noise, reliability seems good? Installation hassles? How think an area did you mount it to? That was a complaint I saw online, about having to buy extensions.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:36:19 am »
For our cats, we ended up buying a SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap for about $120.  It reads the microchip that they each already have, and has worked out great for us.  No, it doesn't connect into the A+, but it does exactly what we need.

Just thought that I'd share.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:03 am »
Thanks for pointing that one out. Would not work for me though for 2 reasons:
1) The directional latching is possible but uses a mechanical control. No way to alter it remotely or on a schedule. That would be a must for me if I got an electronic door.
2) No remote reporting. This is more nice to have, but if I get an electronic door I want to know who used it. If I could tell both cats are now secured... Awesome. Versus going to check (and risk one making a mad dash past) or searching the rest of the house.

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:58 am »
We installed this on our backdoor so we didn't need any extensions.  The extensions are only if you install in a wall.  It installed easily and works as I would expect it to.  The only issue so far really is the noise.

I don't think this version would work well for a cat as it is for large dogs and therefore the door is a likely too heavy for a cat to push. I know that Petsafe makes a small version of the Electronic SmartDoor, however, I don't know if it Zigbee or not because they never really mention anything online.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck