bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Home automation panels  (Read 6915 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Home automation panels
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:05:02 am »
Started building out my home control panels. I'm using android tablets. I am wall mounted them using magnets. I'm waiting for my qi receivers to finish the installs. I have one built out just waiting for the receiver. I plan on running day frame on it to show photos while mounted. This app allows you to tap the time and weather info to launch another app. I tap the time to launch the almond app, and I can tap the weather to launch the wave app. I plan on using wave as an intercom system. I also have my ip cam software installed so I can view those from the same spot. The tablets pull right off the wall but are solidly held in place. I decided to mount everything in a blank wall plate to make it easier and cleaner looking. Would obviously be nicer with bigger / better quality android tablets but each panel is costing me very little to provide a lot of function. I may pick up a larger one in the future. As a side note, I will be running an android tablet as an androidvr separately to record for my ip cameras that are not linked to my hard wired dvr. This provides a small battery backup, some of my cameras are on backup as well, and is discrete enough to be able to hide and let's me add as much, or little, storage space as I'd like.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Re: Home automation panels
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:11:33 am »
Looks good so far. What tablets are you using?
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:06 am »
They are RCA 7 inch tablets from Walmart's Black Friday sale. I picked up two with plans to eventually do this type of project, to be honest I wish I had picked up more now I know it will work pretty well. For the one in my bedroom I'm going to run tasker to turn it on when there is motion. The other will run almost all the time since I won't care about light. They are cheap tabs but perfect for this project. I hope they have another deal next year. I may eventually turn them into full blown media controllers as well. I don't have cable I use Netflix, Amazon etc and play with xbmc a bit so I could control those things through the tablets as well. I know there are more expensive tabs with Qi already but for the price and ability to customize a bit more, these work very well.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:13:33 am »
Do you have a closeup of the magnets and such? Between decent size magnets and a Qi charging pad I would think the back of these would be pretty full. If they have a forward facing camera they would become a modern intercom system with a lot more capabilities. Lot of cool ideas floating around in the forums. I need to sit down sometime (at the rate projects are going that feels like it would be next year) and find a bunch of stuff to use with mine.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 05:54:42 pm »
I am running wave to use as an intercom as well. Here are a few more pics. http://imgur.com/a/h3kOb. It was a little tight but they all fit in there. I posted the project on reddit as well, http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/2wknzq/wall_mounted_tablet/. Day frame is really nice it lets me quickly go to either the almond app or the wave app.

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 12:55:50 am »

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 10:00:34 am »
Lol interesting. Theirs was probably simpler to install.  :P

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 10:20:25 am »
Apparently some enterprising fellows have tried to monetize a similar idea. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s-mount-a-perfect-wall-mount-for-your-tablet
Though their charging idea is less than perfect in my opinion.

Offline pete

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 03:57:29 pm »
Very nice mparadis!!!
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »
Thanks!

Offline rpr69

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:09:59 pm »

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 08:47:20 pm »
Very nice mparadis!!!

I'll second that!

Very high WAF. I showed it to her and she asked when was I going to put that in our house.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck