bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond+ Built-In speaker or Text-to-Speech voice prompts  (Read 8302 times)

Offline addezai

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond+ Built-In speaker or Text-to-Speech voice prompts
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:24:35 pm »
Hi Guys,

It will be great to have a build in speaker in Almond+. Being an Home Automation controller it will be nice to have an audio feedback for certain things like e.g. Front door open, System is Armed, Temperature is set to 68 degree Fahrenheit etc. etc.....

There are numerous possibilities end user will have enhanced experience with the voice feedback. Perhaps if the inclusion of the speaker is not possible at this point of time. It will be great if someone come-up with a z-wave/ZigBee  device which will allow user to broadcast text-to-speech style audio messages.

Thanks in advance.

LGNilsson

Re: Almond+ Built-In speaker or Text-to-Speech voice prompts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:36:45 am »
Yes, it would be nice, but it'll also take us another year to complete, as that's super complex, at least to the level you want it.
I know Lowe's Iris already does this, but imho, it's very, very annoying.
We have support for sirens already, but what you want would require some very advanced and complex logic on our side.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:51:24 am by Lars »

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:42:23 pm »
There is actually a kickstarter built around this concept called Hive right now.  Unfortunately, lit is its own ecosystem and would likely not play well with the Almond.  I was actually looking for something similar.

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:06 pm »
Lars,
Not this is top of wish list, but I have read of people integrating Espeak or similar into openwrt.  Then all Almond would need to do is allow us to create rules that fed free form text to Espeak.  No heavy logic on Almods part to figure out what to say, just blindly pass on the text we associate to the rule.

Think the harder part would be passing it to a wifi speaker.

http://espeak.sourceforge.net

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 05:59:05 pm »
I'm just waiting for Amazon to open the API for Echo. Then hope people much smarter than myself can integrate it into the home automation. Yes I want to play God and say " turn livingroom lights on at 50%" and have them magically turn on. 

Offline Fire69

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 07:43:08 pm »
Don't know if Amazon is planning on opening up the Echo?
If that's the thing you're looking for I'd rather have this:
https://www.athom.nl/?lang=en

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:25:44 am »
When staples had the Ivee on sale for $20, I was hoping grab one to be able to do both voice commands and sound notifications. Alas, it is compatible with most services except this (despite there being a Securifi logo on their upcoming partners, I was told here not to expect support). But if/when the Ivee API becomes available, I might cobble together support myself.

http://helloivee.com/

Forgot to mention that the voice commands on it only work marginally well, but I figure it may work well eventually (if they change their method to the more recently released google speech sdk), and I'm used to being patient...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:31:20 am by matt »

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 03:29:58 am »
We have simply not been contacted by Ivee, so I dunno why they even claim that they're going to add support.

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 03:34:23 am »
We have simply not been contacted by Ivee, so I dunno why they even claim that they're going to add support.

I understand, sorry, that wasn't said in anger or annoyance with your team, more of just a sigh. I was just adding another option to the list being discussed here, since none are presently supported.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:20:08 pm »
Actually the audio part of espeak isnt too difficult even with a router.... you just need a generic USB audio dongle thats supported by the firmware.. Some routers do streaming audio using this, so TTS would be doable,, but making it usable and not annoying... probably a little trickier...

(Know a few Openwrt routers basically allow you to do something akin to internet radio/airplay/stream spotify) using one of these things)

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck