Choose style:

Author Topic: How to block a domain in Almond+  (Read 9086 times)

Offline kingrocks

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
How to block a domain in Almond+
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:32:24 pm »
Guys,
I am a newbie in Almond+. I want to block domains that are advertisement related like sekindo.com.  Other routers it was pretty easy.But securifi has maken it very hard to understand. Can someone elaborate?

Offline kingrocks

Re: How to block a domain in Almond+
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:13:24 pm »
I mean to say URL's or whole domain.

Offline kingrocks

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:35:52 pm »
THat's weird. Not possible using this router or everyone is busy?

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:13:14 pm »
What you are looking for is what most routers call parental controls.
This is as far as I know not yet implemented in the Almond+

Offline pete

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:57:59 pm »
The above noted you can do the following stuff.

Back to the point: parental control. I have kids at home and all sorts of networked devices: smartphones, tablets, computers, servers, printers, you name it. I want to be able to disable adult site browsing and the like from kids hardware. The easiest solution I found so far is OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com), which offers you free DNS filtering for one IP address. Create an account, configure your home IP address, set the categories you want to ban, and done. Any machine on my internal network using OpenDNS will receive re-directs for unwanted sites. In the past I used to manually modify the DNS settings on all kids hardware to switch to OpenDNS servers, but that quickly becomes old, and sometimes requires some sleight-of-hand to configure. Forget it.

Enter OpenWRT: you can actually assign different DHCP settings to hosts on your network, e.g. different DNS servers. Even if the documentation is respectfully thick on that topic, it took me a while to understand it.

Procedure:

1. edit /etc/config/dhcp to add a new section

Code: [Select]
config tag 'kids'
    list dhcp_option '6,208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220'

2. Now add individual sections for all devices you want to include in the ‘kids’ section:

Code: [Select]
config host
    option name 'pluto'
    option mac 'YOUR DEVICE MAC ADDRESS'
    option ip 'YOUR DEVICE ADDRESS ON THE INTERNAL NETWORK'
    option tag 'kids'

3. Restart dnsmasq with: /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

And you are done. Just tag the hosts you want to be part of the kids zone to distribute the OpenDNS servers instead of the default one.

https://nicolas314.wordpress.com/2014/12/10/parental-control-with-openwrt-and-opendns/

A little bit about DNS hijacking in general.

DNS hijacking or DNS redirection is the practice of subverting the resolution of Domain Name System (DNS) queries. This can be achieved by malware that overrides a computer's TCP/IP configuration to point at a rogue DNS server under the control of an attacker, or through modifying the behaviour of a trusted DNS server so that it does not comply with internet standards.

These modifications may be made for malicious purposes such as phishing, or for self-serving purposes by Internet service providers (ISPs) and public/router-based online DNS server providers to direct users' web traffic to the ISP's own web servers where advertisements can be served, statistics collected, or other purposes of the ISP; and by DNS service providers to block access to selected domains as a form of censorship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hijacking
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline Ab

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:13:20 pm »
I realize this may not be what you are looking for but I've found this to be an extremely useful non-obtrusive alternative:

It does require to change the hosts file on every pc, if we could implement this concept at the router level it would be a great option. I guess what has been explained above can be applied by copying the entries in the hosts.txt file. It is extremely easy to install using the included batch file.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/

Personally, I'd use the ready list in the hosts.txt provided on mvps.org and apply Pete's suggestion above. You could potentially also use the lists that IE implements (below) though at this point I'm not sure if we can implement a list from an external site within A+

Some browser level utilities albeit somewhat potentially obtrusive for Firefox/chrome/opera are ad-blockers like "Adblock Plus", IE similarly has tracking protection (less obtrusive in my opinion) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features/tracking-protection.

Advantage of pushing the entries into the hosts file is that you can override as needed as long as you have admin privileged on that pc! e.g. several discount links will use a link-thru site that you may want to disable temporarily. This will work regardless of what browser you use!

Hope this helps!

Offline lk96

• Peanut
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 06:19:56 pm »
I realize this is a 2y old post but had the info I needed.

I tried this method though and it seems that my Almond+ doesn't seem to direct DNS requests to the OpenDNS servers for the hosts that are configured accordingly.

Just for the sake of it, I manually altered the DNS config for my macbook to point to the OpenDNS servers and verified that things on the OpenDNS side are properly set.

Any suggestions why the proposed method above wouldn't work?

Offline lk96

• Peanut
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:00 am »
BTW, Almond+ also has a "filter" screen on the device interface itself. And that seems to do the job. But I don't see this control exposed neither on the phone apps nor on the web UI console.
Am I missing something somewhere ?

Offline skillet

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 12:28:57 pm »
I would like to know this as well I don't see any parental controls that show how to block a website. I am extremely saddened about how slow the development of Securifi's development is on their routers. I purchased two different versions the Almond+ and Almond 3 with the thought of the reviews saying how you are developing the software and there are many basic things the router still can't do or is difficult to find.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.