Choose style:

Author Topic: USB 3/4G modem wan dongle compatibility?  (Read 16019 times)

Offline joltdude

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: USB 3/4G modem wan dongle compatibility?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 08:08:16 pm »
Dual Wan via a 3G/4G/Wimax dongle with load balancing and/or fallback would be great but even Asus hasnt gotten it quite right and theve been trying on their routers to do it reliably for awhile... (RT AC66U/RT AC68) as well as others.... So completely understand if this isnt on the top of the list.. but id like to see an attempt at it...

Offline aemergin

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 11:02:22 pm »
Sure seemed like it was promised by demoing it as a feature.  Either way, I would really like to see 3G/4G dongle capability.  I use my Almond + in an RV and are often on 3G/4G data.  Pulling straight from a dongle would let me use the router AS a router, instead of as a repeater..  I lose a lot of functionality the way things are by using it as a repeater with a 3G/4G hotspot.  Of course I understand I am probably the only one using it like this but it was very exciting to see a complete package with all of the H-A stuff that I would be able to use on the road.  Maybe one day it will float to the top of your list.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:31:46 pm by aemergin »

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 12:54:51 pm »
Dual Wan via a 3G/4G/Wimax dongle with load balancing and/or fallback would be great but even Asus hasnt gotten it quite right and theve been trying on their routers to do it reliably for awhile... (RT AC66U/RT AC68) as well as others.... So completely understand if this isnt on the top of the list.. but id like to see an attempt at it...

Agreed. But I believe implementing preliminary "fallback in case primary WAN goes down, go back to primary WAN if it comes back" feature should satisfy 90% of users' needs (IMHO). Most of us want to keep our VOIP (well, OOMA for a lot of US users) running and make sure that the Alarm panel is still connected to the outside world even if the Cable is cut. Load balancing is probably nice-to-have for most of the home/home office users.

I am still hopeful that someday A+ will support DSC/Ademco alarm panel integration given the fact that Envisalink provides such a nice TPI. It would be a great and unique selling feature as I mentioned elsewhere. The reason I mention it here is that the 3G/LTE modem support will come naturally when A+ supports Alarm panel integration. I know I am dreaming:)

Anyway, if A+ lets us install opkg, we the users can dabble in implementing the feature ourselves as mentioned in this url:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/3gdongle

Thanks.

NB: @Lars, @Ashok, @Amritendu - Could you please lobby for us so that these two features at least get into the "TO DO" list.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:08:11 pm by Neel737 »

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 02:46:53 am »
Could any of the Securifi stuffs please let us know whether 1)DSC Alarm Integration and 2) Fallback WAN Support features will EVER be implemented in A+? I guess I want to know whether they are in the TO DO list even as the lowest priority tasks.
TIA.

NB: Sorry for repeating as I really need to know.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 08:27:41 am »
@ Neel737,

I have sent the request to our Software team to update us with their to do list and priority of this, would post the update once I receive it.

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 11:35:52 am »
@ Neel737,

I have sent the request to our Software team to update us with their to do list and priority of this, would post the update once I receive it.

Dear @Ashok:
     Thanks for your efforts. Hope that your SW team responds sooner rather than later:-) Looking forward to the update. 

Amritendu

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 11:56:16 am »
@Neel, I am going to bring it up in our next internal meeting  :)

Offline MrBishop

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 04:56:02 pm »
Hello @Amritendu and @Lars!

If you are soliciting votes on this functionality "enhancement", i would like to add my +1.  Actually, as i recall, In one of your videos, during your kickstarter campaign you advertised it as a feature.  On my list of proposed priorities, i'd place this higher than HA, right after basic routing.   I would consider WAN backup as an essential part of advanced routing and something i would expect from a modern top-tier router.

Thanks,
Andy

Perhaps a dev kit could released to help the community created add-ons for the Almond+ I know Open-WRT supports various packages and for some reason we can't use there versions but if you could release a Dev Kit or perhaps the source for the none UI (Securifi created parts) portion of the routers OS since it's supposed to be Open Source anyway. We get your resources are limited fortunately that's why people with hobbies exist. Immagine all the free features you could offer your customers without even having to take on any form of implied liability for them. Also just curious but would you be willing to say how many full time programmers are on payroll? I imagine you'd need quiet a few so wouldn't it be pretty cool if a few bored people that are just looking to ad a few features and share them did so? I'm not asking for some nonsensical app store just a simple repo where people who want to share open source code for you series of devices. It works wonders for sales just look at Linksys and there WRT line. I get company's like to think they maintain control over the device once it sold, but you don't; the laws are clear on who owns what parts of what. So why not just help us help you make your products better instead of forcing people to wait for a possible update or feature release? Since we own the router, we might as well be allowed to add a few features that everyone can enjoy. Because if you release a DevKit that's actually usable or the source at least and let us build our own Roms I will try to get DNScrypt on the ALmond+ for all of us to enjoy. Plus the 3G/4G modem is an awesome idea that I really want now. Like seriously I have Ting Mobile and for $6 a month I can give my house a secondary wireless line? Yes please.

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 02:55:53 pm »
@ Neel737,

Dear @Ashok:
Sorry for bringing this long 'forgotten' thread back to life. I also apologize  in advance if this was updated elsewhere. As promised by both you and @Amritendu, we can expect an update on this topic (please see reply #20 and #21 in this thread). Personally all I want to know is whether these two features (alarm integration, wan fallback) are in the 'to do' list.
Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:32:36 am by Neel737 »

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 11:53:48 pm »
I already have basic functionality working using TCP. I just need a way of updating the device on almond. If there was a way to create devices on almond that could be controlled by a REST API, I could get this done.

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »
I already have basic functionality working using TCP. I just need a way of updating the device on almond. If there was a way to create devices on almond that could be controlled by a REST API, I could get this done.

That's wonderful, d.kiran. The key phrase here is "the way" though:-)

At the risk of being ignored again -  @Ashok, is there any update (as promised) on these 2 features?

My bias for A+ is strong as STv2 solution still needs AlarmServer running 24/7 in a separate machine. I am a big proponent of integrated solution.
Since d.kiran has worked on TPI, I am sure he will be more than willing to coordinate with your developers.

TIA.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 05:46:47 pm »
@ Neel737,

I am sorry but as of now we are not working on this.

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »
@ Neel737,

I was/am 100% sure about that part. Just wanted to know whether EITHER of the features will EVER be implemented (understandably these 2 could be the least priority ones). I understand that Securifi is pretty reluctant to discuss "road map" with customers but from our perspective choice of HA Controller plays a pivotal role in ongoing planning/implementation.

BTW, congratulations for making R83 a lot more stable. Looking forward to more complete Z-wave device support. 

Thanks.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 10:55:16 pm »
@ Neel737,

@Ashok - which part did you say you're not working on?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 01:10:00 pm »
@ d.kiran,

Support for 3G/4G modem WAN connection through USB port of Almond+.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck