Choose style:

Author Topic: Hello! Software engineer here  (Read 3554 times)

Offline chrislott

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Hello! Software engineer here
« on: July 25, 2013, 08:33:13 pm »
Hey everyone,

My name is Chris and I'm a software engineer. I mostly do iOS/Android now-a-days and when I find the time I like to work on home automation stuff.  I'm familiar with Z-Wave and Insteon and also alarm systems. 

I currently have an ISY-994i controller with an Elk M1 alarm system.  It would be nice to have the Almond be able to talk to either of these to turn on/off devices and engage/disengage my alarm system.  The Elk has a pretty straight forward API, so hopefully when the beta devices and SDK comes out, I'll be able to play around with integrating at least the alarm portion.

Looking forward to what everyone comes up with!

LGNilsson

Re: Hello! Software engineer here
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:11 pm »
Hi chrislott,

Welcome to the forums.

We're looking at getting an Elk to test with the Almond+, but at this point in time I can't say what type of support we'll be able to add.
As for the ISY-994i, I'm afraid you're on your own, as if we were to add Insteon support some time in the future it would be via a simple USB dongle. That said, you're of course free to tinker and we're looking forward to hear what you manage to accomplish.

Cheers

/Lars

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Hello! Software engineer here
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 05:36:12 am »
Hey everyone,

My name is Chris and I'm a software engineer. I mostly do iOS/Android now-a-days and when I find the time I like to work on home automation stuff.  I'm familiar with Z-Wave and Insteon and also alarm systems. 

I currently have an ISY-994i controller with an Elk M1 alarm system.  It would be nice to have the Almond be able to talk to either of these to turn on/off devices and engage/disengage my alarm system.  The Elk has a pretty straight forward API, so hopefully when the beta devices and SDK comes out, I'll be able to play around with integrating at least the alarm portion.

Looking forward to what everyone comes up with!

Hi Chris.  I too am eager to see what you come up with.   I'm pretty good with Linux,  especially embedded Linux devices,  but my skills are limited to writing scripts in Bash,  Perl,  and Python,  but I'm not a Software Engineer.  I'm sure I can teach you nothing about Home Automation,  or Software Engineering,  but hopefully I can help you integrate your programmer efforts into the Almond+ environment. 

I hope that my interactions with users such as yourself will permit me to teach and learn.   No-one is an expert in everything,  myself included,  so I am eager to work with the Securifi Community to help all of us to get as much or as little as we each desire.  Home Automation is my weak point,  so I will probably learn alot from persons such as yourself.   

Welcome to the Securifi Community Forum!  I hope you will visit us regularly. 

Patrick.
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.