Choose style:

Author Topic: Virtual On/Off Switch  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Xero

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Virtual On/Off Switch
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:30 pm »
I have an an Aeotech MultiSensor. What I love about this sensor is that it has a 4 minute timer. If no motion is detected after 4 minutes, it lets the Almond+ know that there is no motion. One unique feature this sensor has is if it detects motion during the 4 minutes, it resets the timer. This extra feature makes using this sensor much more convenient.

What I would like to do is use this sensor to turn on the porch light when someone approaches the door and then have it turn off after a few minutes. However, if someone in the home decides to turn on the porch light manually, I do not want it turned off after someone goes onto the porch. In addition, I do not want the lights to turn off only to turn back on.

Here is how I used the Almond+ to do what I want. I am using a Leviton plug-in appliance module with nothing plugged in (http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-DZPA1-1LW-Decora-Controls-Appliance/dp/B00LEWQYC6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427326778&sr=8-5&keywords=leviton+z-wave) as a workaround.

1) First rule: If sensor (detects motion) and porch light (off), then turn on porch light and turn on Leviton appliance module

2) Second rule: If sensor (no motion) and Leviton appliance module (on), then turn off porch light and turn off Leviton appliance module

Without using this workaround, if I proactively turned on the porch light wanting it to be on and someone walks onto the porch, then then porch light will turn off. This is not want I want. Using an extra dummy z-wave on/off device (the Leviton appliance module) creates an excellent workaround.

This is why I suggest Securifi consider adding dummy on/off switches. It will make creating rules much more powerful.

Thank you.

Offline TarpanQ

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Virtual On/Off Switch
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:23:35 pm »
What you are asking could be done using variables, as i asked in my post with the said title...
And much more.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 25 queries.

bottleneck