bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Linear WD500Z1  (Read 5309 times)

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Linear WD500Z1
« on: March 29, 2015, 03:54:44 am »
Just checking if anyone has tested these devices

Is there any harm in using dimmers as regular on/off switches?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Re: Linear WD500Z1
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:12:59 am »
I have 4 that can be remotely controlled easily. One caveat, "physical" changes at the switch (on/off/dimming value) are not yet reflected by the Almond+.

Using a dimmer as an on/off CAN work... But... Some items do not like the ramp-up when being turned on or the ramp-down when being turned off. Non dimming lights can die early. Normal items (like of the switches also control an outlet) could be damaged. Plus dimmers are normally more expensive.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
Re: Linear WD500Z1
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:52:26 am »
Fillibar is right -- I have 3 and they work fine, but I wouldn't try to use them for anything that can't be dimmed.  I believe they CAN be set not to fade on/off, but that requires setting a Zwave parameter on the switch, which the A+ does not yet support.  From the factory, they always fade on and off -- at least all 3 of mine do.  Plus there is always the chance you might accidentally dim one when you mean to turn it on/off, and that could damage whatever is attached.  I haven't tried the non-dimming version of this switch (Linear WS15Z1) so I don't know if the A+ supports that or not.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:54:41 am by bwainscott »

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.