Choose style:

Author Topic: Anti Cloud! ( I want to control my own Almond+ )  (Read 23237 times)

Offline ThePoorShadow

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Anti Cloud! ( I want to control my own Almond+ )
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:12:45 am »
Hi.

I think that this is ridiculous:
I'm in the same (home) net as the Almond+, but I can't control the bunny thing (sensors through it) as it seems the is no Cloud (?)!!!

I don't think this is acceptable. Imagine the worst case scenario (god forbids).
Securifi goes down, cloud goes down and now I can't control my sensors in my Almond+ through the App.

Does this make any sense??
Shouldn't at lest this infrastructure be aware that both items are in the same network??

Regards!

Amritendu

Re: Anti Cloud! ( I want to control my own Almond+ )
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:30:02 am »
The good, bad and ugly of technology! Mobile apps are typically made for controlling home automation from off network (when you are outside). Cloud issue would be ironed out soon enough as we are doing some major upgrades for a more fulfilling experience.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:15:32 am »
I believe that the assumption you make ("Mobile apps are typically made for controlling home automation from off network (when you are outside))" is not necessarily true. The first thing I do after I wake up is to use my mobile. If I wake up before sunrise, I have to turn on the hallway lights because it is extremely dark. Also, some days it is colder (or warmer), so I turn the thermostat on from my bed.

Apps like mydlink can detect your local cameras on the same network even when the cloud is down.

Amritendu

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »
Agreed, it does depend on individual users. I am sure you would agree app for complete Home Automation is a little more complicated than the camera apps designed to do only one kind of job, i.e keep up with the cameras. When it comes to HA, the same app can be used with multiple Almond+ at different locations, so cloud access is a must and I don't think we can replace that with local access only. But to conclude, once the upgrades are through, there should'n be much of an issue, while major crash or breakdowns can't be foreseen.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:09:18 pm by Amritendu »

Offline ThePoorShadow

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:07:12 pm »
Amritendu,
I see your point.

Nevertheless the day starts and (usually) ends at home; even without internet I think the app should work as long as it's connected to the same network as the Almond.
I'm pretty sure that there may be a technical reason for that doesn't happening but to be honest I can't see why.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:08:09 pm »
Amritendu,
I see your point.

Nevertheless the day starts and (usually) ends at home; even without internet I think the app should work as long as it's connected to the same network as the Almond.
I'm pretty sure that there may be a technical reason for that doesn't happening but to be honest I can't see why.

I'm sure there are technical reasons why talking to the cloud is very different from talking directly to the A+.  But I also strongly agree that requiring the cloud is unreasonable, particularly when at home.  I use the local WebUI myself -- I just hope that if they can't (or won't) get the app to talk directly to the A+ then they will put a nice mobile interface on the WebUI.

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:57:09 pm »
Agreed!
I've said this in many threads now, but local control should be a must!
It may take some time to deliver, but I sure hope they do it.

Offline cswilly

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:45:17 am »
http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/update-smartthings-hub-v2-hardware/

SmartThings added "local actions" yesterday. But you need new hardware. Hopefully Securifi can do it with only a firmware update.

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:08:59 am »
http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/update-smartthings-hub-v2-hardware/

SmartThings added "local actions" yesterday. But you need new hardware. Hopefully Securifi can do it with only a firmware update.

Current hardware certainly has the capability to do this. This can be seen as trivially true as in theory you could log into the router web interface on your phone and perform actions. The app could simply connect through these same bindings (websockets) to perform local actions.

p.s. I personally already do local actions, but that is because I use tasker to send tcp commands to mochad to perform actions. Much less pretty, but it gets the job done.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:10:34 am by matt »

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 11:22:31 am »
Here's the thing. There are two things we are discussing here. One, agree that this feature is required. Two, when and how it can be implemented. If people who work on the product don't believe the local access is required, it is never going to get done.

Going by the recommendations of active posters here and the fact that established brands are offering/plan to offer this. I believe this should be in the future roadmap. Once Securifi agrees, then they can prioritize this and deliver it when they can.

Offline cswilly

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:28:44 am »
p.s. I personally already do local actions, but that is because I use tasker to send tcp commands to mochad to perform actions. Much less pretty, but it gets the job done.

Matt, where can I find the doc on the tcp command to do this? Do you have any example Tasker actions you could share?

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 12:48:15 pm »
The simple solution to this is to just use the web UI in your phone/tablet browser. I have no problems opening Luci in my phone's browser to control lights, check door locks etc from inside my home when the cloud is "having issues" . This is also great for my old Dell Streak, that is stuck running Honeycomb, so I can't install the app, even if I wanted to.

Cloud only is not that uncommon and is pretty much the standard it seems to me.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 01:04:31 pm »
The Sensors and Rules do not show up in iPhone Browser.

Offline MrBishop

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 01:14:28 pm »
I couldn't agree more, I have been having a heck of a time using that cloud app, it's been super buggy the last several weeks. I'd really REALLY appreciate being able to turn off all that third party cloud nonsense and be given access to an API or something and just open the right ports, setup DNS and know it's going to work. So what happens to our routers if your company goes under? What happens if you get DDoS'd by a rival company? I'm not saying cloud isn't a good option, I just think we should get to control the routers we bought. Bought mine back in the beta program and i've been desperately hoping for this sense.

P.S. To any staff, i'd appreciate it if you could shoot off an email asking about the possibility of working this into the near future feature set, or if it's to expensive or you don't see the point then consider a kickstarter to pay for R&D and what not.

Thanks in advanced.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:57 pm »
For me it is about control.  I've never signed up for the cloud account or even downloaded the app -- I don't want to depend on an outside resource, and don't want any unnecessary access (security hole) on my system.  At home I use the WebUI on my phone, and when away from home I use the WebUI on my phone via VPN.  I'm sure there are a lot of neat app-ish things I'm not getting, and I totally understand Securifi's point in wanting to develop the app and have cloud support (very customer friendly, etc).  I'm just not that customer.  If the app could connect directly to the A+, that would be great.  Baring that, a good phone/tablet friendly web interface would be nice.  But from a security and control standpoint, I just don't trust "the cloud"

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.