bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond+ failing  (Read 2286 times)

Offline frunobulax

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond+ failing
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:30:53 pm »
Well, the plug was the least of my worries. First the router began to reset itself at random intervals from router to access point; then it began to drop wifi connections aggressively; finally it refused to reboot and merely became quite hot. I had to return the unit and have no interest in trying again.

The idea is good, but I feel somewhat like I've been used for beta testing. It may sound like I'm whinging, but I'm not. Promise. It just seems not to be fully baked. I wish you well. When you get the kinks worked out it should be a fine little device.

LGNilsson

Re: Almond+ failing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:55:04 am »
Sorry to hear about your problems. This is clearly not normal behaviour. Have you contacted our support team about this?

Offline frunobulax

• Acorn
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:10:36 am »
No interest, and support is not going to tell me much I don't already know about its refusal to boot and its rather impressive overheating. Before these evident defects it was way, way too flaky. I returned it to Amazon and will buy something simpler that's gone through more development and testing. It's a compelling concept, I'm just not able to provide testing for a company that rushed a product to market.

Again, I do wish you well. When it becomes stable I'll consider it.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 12:28:22 pm »
The Almond+ doesn't overheat, it has a heatsink with a heatpipe. Yes, it gets unusually warm, but this is because all the heat is exhausted at the top of the Almond+. Trust me on this one, we have a laptop grade cooling solution, so that's one problem you won't be having. The reboots is a different problem, but as you've already returned it...

Offline frunobulax

• Acorn
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 01:17:47 pm »
With all due respect, it did overheat. I don't want to be argumentative, but it's not helpful-- or a good customer service practice-- to refute your customers' empirical observations. A unit that goes from fully operational, to marginally operational, to dead in three days' time obviously had a serious defect. You have to allow the possibility that I'm able to tell the difference between a device that runs hot and a device that's so hot that it's starting to emit smells, and which, by remarkable coincidence, ceases to work at all.

And you write "but as you've already returned it..." as if you're chiding me. Securifi sold me a product that had firmware problems, radio problems, some other catastrophic defect, and a peripheral sensor not ready to be used fully. I'm not being at all unreasonable by electing not to work with support to fix a defective unit, or choosing to try my luck elsewhere.

I'm one customer who had a poor experience. Neither of us wanted that outcome, but it happens. Your job is to apologize and thank me for my custom, not to contradict me and insinuate that I didn't care enough to work the problem with you. I'll note this in my Amazon review.

Again, good luck with the product.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 17 queries.