bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Anyone have success with a garage door opener?  (Read 11840 times)

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Anyone have success with a garage door opener?
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:59:28 am »
R72 says it has "partial" support for the Linear garage door opener.  I've been looking to get one, but was waiting until it is supported.  Sounds like they don't yet have support for the door sensor that comes with it, but I am curious to hear about anyone's experiences with this device.  How loud is the warning beeper?  My garage door is very quiet, and I don't want to worry about waking anyone up if I use the A+ to open or close the door early in the morning.

I'm also considering the Centralite opener.  It is only an announced product so far, but Securifi says they will support it and there are hints that it might allow things like opening the door 25% (which might be useful for ventilation).

Thanks for any feedback!

Offline spooky123

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Anyone have success with a garage door opener?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:53 pm »
On R070as I tried the Linear garage door opened and it came up as unrecognized so I cancelled out and figured I'd wait for R072. Unfortunately, I've not been able to try again on R072. I did see in the release notes that the tilt sensor isn't supported yet.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 01:24:28 pm »
I am using the FortrezZ MIMOliteUS with success:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6RZ7MM/

Unfortunately I can't use it to read the magnetic sensors that I have yet, but it does active my garage door without issue, and has been for quite a while.

I'm also using a standard door sensor to let me know when the garage door is open or closed.

Offline govee

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:30:22 pm »
I use an ecolink tilt sensor and a Linear FS20Z-1 and it works like a charm. I installed an old android phone with IPWebcam forwarded to a vpn on ALMOND+ and I can see the activity as well (visual verification of the door status). ;D

Offline xtbs26

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 01:53:10 pm »
I actually used instructions i found on YouTube to build one out of the peanut plug and a $10 Radio Shack relay switch. It works perfectly. I use a tilt sensor to tell me if the door is open or closed.

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 04:35:47 pm »
I use an ecolink tilt sensor and a Linear FS20Z-1 and it works like a charm. I installed an old android phone with IPWebcam forwarded to a vpn on ALMOND+ and I can see the activity as well (visual verification of the door status). ;D

That's the HW setup I use and it works great. It is probably one of the cheapest and most reliable solution as well. 

Does anybody use anybody use any Garage door rule? If so what kind of rules do you guys/gals use?
TIA.

Offline xtbs26

• Chestnut
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »
I use a rule that closes my garage door at 9PM, in case I forgot and left it open. I also have one that turns on the house lights if the garage door opens between 9:15 and 11:45 so that if we come home late the lights will come on when we open the garage.

Offline Baldo

• Chestnut
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:35:47 pm »
I have the Linear opener and before it would pair and show up unsupported. now it just keeps trying to pair, no matter how many un-pairs, reboots, etc. the message states still trying to pair device. I'm sure this is working about as well as the HUE hub pairing under 72.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:06:44 pm »
I have the Linear opener and before it would pair and show up unsupported. now it just keeps trying to pair, no matter how many un-pairs, reboots, etc. the message states still trying to pair device. I'm sure this is working about as well as the HUE hub pairing under 72.

Thanks for the update.  Guess I'll wait a while longer.  I've seen the "do it yourself with a relay" options which sound easy enough, but I'd prefer the cleaner, simpler setup of a pre-built device.  What I'd REALLY like is a garage door opener with this built in -- it really should be possible to open the door 17%, see how far open it is, etc, etc.  Oh well, maybe R73...

Offline Baldo

• Chestnut
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:20:07 pm »
Wouldn't hold my breath looks as this effort is not going anywhere fast. Hopefully they will integrate some of the wave door openers for you in the future. I think a few models now come with z wave support.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 08:34:22 pm »
I'm on R072 and I installed the Linear GD00Z-4 today. For me the Almond+ recognizes it as a Garage Door Open but says Unsupported Device so I can't do anything with it.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 05:01:36 am »
The Linear GD00Z only works via the LCD UI at the moment, since this is the first firmware it was added to.
It should appear in connected sensors and you can open and close from there.
I know this isn't what everyone wants, but we'll get it into the other UI's given a little time, now that it's supported.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:09:01 am by Lars »

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 07:32:11 am »
I installed my GD00Z and can confirm that the Almond+ adds it fine for me. It is shown as unsupported device via the WebUI and the App and it doesn't do anything there. However, as Lars says via the LCD the open/close functions does seem to work and in agreement with the release notes the tilt sensor just always shows as closed. So it's looking like it is on its way to good support. Via the LCD when hitting open/close you don't get feedback on the LCD that anything is happening though it is opening/closing, Promising!

Offline layotte

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 02:31:56 pm »
Any issues setting up the FS20Z-1?  Also could you post instructions of how you setup the IPwebcam to the almond?

Offline layotte

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 05:01:03 pm »
Well I bought the linear FS20Z-1 and it pairs with the almond as a binary switch.  I wired to my garage door opener with the load wires connected to the door opener acting like another garage door button (wired in parallel) .  It works but having the almond treat it as a binary switch acts like on/off switch rather than a "momentary switch" which is what the garage door opener wants.

For those applications where a momentary switch is better or a binary switch, just create a rule that once the switch is turned on, wait a few seconds then turn the switch off.  It worked for this application (I set a 12 second wait time)

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.