bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Amazon Echo  (Read 15106 times)

Offline xtbs26

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Amazon Echo
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:19:02 am »
I just received an email notice that the Amazon Echo now can control Wemo and Hue devices. Any chance that functionality will be coming our way?

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:32 am »
I have the Hue bridge connected to my Almond and can't get it to connect to the Echo.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 12:24:00 pm »
So far I have got it to work without the Almond, but it was a pain.

Reboot of all devices didn't fix it
Removed Hue from Almond still a no go
Factory reset of Hue worked, but then with R72 couldn't connect Hue to Almond
Downgraded to R69cp, hue still wouldn't connect LCD told me to use connect bulb, then my LCD screen wouldn't come back on.
Reset of Almond still getting same error trying to connect the bridge.
Going to try going back to R69 if that doesn't work will probably just leave the Hue disconnected from the Almond.

looks like right now if you have both you have to choose one or the other, at least I couldn't get both to work
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:04:44 pm by Ohiomedic »

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 03:59:30 pm »
Here just staring at the amazing box the Amazon Echo was shipped to me in...2 days so far of staring at the box on my desk.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:01:16 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:12:56 pm »
Here just staring at the amazing box the Amazon Echo was shipped to me in...2 days so far of staring at the box on my desk.

So stop stalling, open the box and start playing. We have 2 Echoes and can't wait to be able to use it for voice command of home automation.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 04:26:31 pm »
I don't think Amazon has released the SDK for it yet. Once that happens hopefully they will get it on the to do list.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 03:41:06 pm »
Well I bit the bullet and bought one of the WeMo wall switches today (  http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGEGJ02/ )  , I'll let you know how it goes pairing it with Alexa.

I really need to find somebody as smart as I used to be, to get the 5 different HA protocols running in my house all in one interface.

Offline xtbs26

• Chestnut
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 05:52:52 pm »
I had a WEMO switch that I was not using so I brought it out and paired it with the Echo and it works fine. Easy pairing/discovery.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 10:53:02 pm »
This was my first venture into WeMo. All HA should be this simple. I was surprised that I could not turn on the lights with the physical switch until after I set it up through the app. No problems discovering it through Echo app. Alexa didn't like it being named "dining room lightswitch", but once I changed it to simply "diningroom lights" she has no issues. The not recognizing the name at first could just be that I didn't wait long enough for the cloud to sync, but the light was showing in Echo app.
I just wish the WeMo switch was dimmable , I will miss that. I won't miss it enough to give up having voice control of the lights though.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »
I now have both the Almond and Echo connected to the Hue. Both work good together, except that if the Echo is used to turn on the lights the status isn't updated on the Almond. Which surprised me that it was the only thing since the Echo isn't supported by the Almond.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 08:01:49 am »
Since Echo is 100% cloud based, I would think that it is more Securifi opening up it's app and convincing Amazon there is a market to control it. We are not asking for the A+ to control the Echo, we want the Echo to control the A+. I am sure that will thrill those people already antsy about A+ being cloud based .

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 06:26:32 pm »
Since Echo is 100% cloud based, I would think that it is more Securifi opening up it's app and convincing Amazon there is a market to control it. We are not asking for the A+ to control the Echo, we want the Echo to control the A+. I am sure that will thrill those people already antsy about A+ being cloud based .
From my understanding it might be up to securifi, the reason I'm thinking that is Amazon is supposed to be releasing an SDK for the Echo at some point.
https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/echo
http://www.techhive.com/article/2892414/an-amazon-echo-sdk-is-in-the-works-which-could-mean-third-party-apps-are-not-far-off.html

Offline sgfgator

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 12:12:22 pm »
Yep you all of good case argument points as to who needs to initiate the process. Either way though, WeMo and Philips HUE didn't hesitate getting their products to function and communicate with the Echo. The Echo is obviously in its early stages but this seems to be a possible indicator of which way Home Automation is heading.
And it only makes since with Apple Homekit being announced. Hmmm I wonder if they will have a voice control feature?  ;D

Offline xtbs26

• Chestnut
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 02:23:04 pm »
I see that people have already come up with hacks to control the Nest thermostat through the Echo. Just sayin'...

Offline Dudeness30

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 09:35:54 pm »
I just ordered my echo, won't get it for a while, but I'm hopeful it will work with the A+ eventually.
Almond+, 2 flood sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 Z-wave water valve, 2 Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM1S Z-Wave Relay, 1 GE Z-Wave Outdoor Module, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 Z-Wave Smart Dual Relay,

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 18 queries.