bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Aeotec LED Bulb  (Read 6890 times)

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Aeotec LED Bulb
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:13 am »
Just got an e-mail showing that Aeotec is coming out with Zwave LED bulbs. They come out in May in Daylight, Warm light, and an RGB. If cheaper then the Hue I might have to pick a couple up.

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-led-lightbulb

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Aeotec LED Bulb
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:21:09 pm »
Very interested in the RGB from a status perspective. I backed the "Q" Kickstarter specifically for that reason because I figured I would be able to integrate it (with IFTTT as the worst case workaround).

Since that is still a work in progress, this Aeotec LED might be a nice bet, if the price is right. If only their website did not seem so pretentious.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:34:26 pm »
Interestingly its an indoor outdoor and comes out same time as their multi sensor 6.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:13 pm »
Plus being a range extender means you can pretty well saturate your area with Z-Wave and purely with "normal" household lighting.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »
Right now we don't have support for RGBW Z-Wave bulbs and we're in fact waiting for the Sigma Designs to send out samples for an RGBW bulb so we can implement support for it, as it's based on a new Z-Wave device class and they promised everyone would get a bulb.

Looking at the Aeon Labs bulb, don't expect great Z-Wave range, as they seem to be using a chip antenna and they don't have the best of range, although they're incredibly tiny.

Don't expect these to be cheap, the Linear bulb is $35+ and having talked to them at CES, their rep claimed that GE, Cree and the other guys aren't making any money on their bulbs... which simply isn't true, but hey.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:52:20 pm by Lars »

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:00 am »
True range may not be great but depending on your outside lighting (not ours, but there are houses around us like this) that have perimeter lighting. Replace those bulbs and most everything would be within 30ft (10m) or so from what I have seen. Should be sufficient.

Price could be a stumbling block. A Z-Wave repeater on its own is $20+. Toss in an equivalent LED controllable light (GE Link for example) at $15 and you could expect bulbs starting at about $35. RGB does not cost more in my book because nobody seems to keep the same level of white LEDs, they replace some with RGB. No additional cost for controlling them as most of these chips are overpowered to control on/off/dimming, so expanding that to 4 channels worth is minor PLUS I left in the cost of the ZigBee controller from the GE Link, so that leaves extra.

So... A price around $35 would be reasonable (at present) and less should be possible. Going above that is extra profit margin (expected but disappointing for mass adoption).

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:59 am »
Yes, that would be reasonable for an RGBW bulb, except these companies also wants to recuperate their R&D costs within the first six months of a new product being sale, so they're not $35, they're $60 - http://www.amazon.com/Zipato-Z-Wave-Channels-Compatible-Automation/dp/B00KHGRHEY
A bit under $35 gets you a plain dimmable one colour bulb - http://www.amazon.com/LinearLinc-LB60Z-1-Z-Wave-Light-Bulb/dp/B00PJH16UC/ref=pd_sim_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=12QR1K91JQCDPDE5BR1K

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.

bottleneck