Choose style:

Author Topic: 5ghz going out  (Read 8715 times)

Offline blandry186

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
5ghz going out
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:46 am »
Twice this week I discovered that my 5ghz radio has gone off. First time I rebooted and it went back on. I'm about to reboot again. This is getting annoying and unnecessary. Do I need to return this and get another one? This is my second almond plus. The first one had a noon responsive screen. What should I do?

Offline blandry186

• Peanut
Re: 5ghz going out
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »
Let me add to this. Three times now. This is going to have to go back. My second almond plus and I'm having problems again.  This is starting to get annoying.

Offline blandry186

• Peanut
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:37 pm »
4 times. It resets, the 5ghz comes up and then shortly shuts off afterwards

jjoepaulines

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:04 pm »
I need some info about your environment ..... So can you please send me a the screenshot of your wifi page ...

You can see that in openwrt UI

- > Go to Network - > then Wifi

In this , I want to know the list of "Associated Stations"  ... Please take a screenshot when all your device are connected to your Almondplus

Offline blandry186

• Peanut
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:57:01 pm »
Do you want this from my phone or from my laptop?

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:35:56 pm »
Laptop might be better.

Offline blandry186

• Peanut
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:54:59 am »
Sorry I haven't responded. Been very busy. I did another reset and this time the 5ghz is staying up. As far as I can see, there is one other neighbor that has a5ghz Wi-Fi based on the ssid. I will keep monitoring it and let you know if anything changes.  Thank you.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:26 am »
Just for curiosity sake, what channel is the neighbor broadcasting on and how close is it to yours? I used to have problems (before I got my Almond+) with neighbors until I did a couple scans and set mine to channels that nobody else was using. That solved a lot of problems back then. Since then I do a scan every couple months just to make sure I am still "in the clear".
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline blandry186

• Peanut
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:11:41 pm »
Filibar, I am about to show my ignorance!!  How do I go about checking the channels of other wifi hotspots?  I can see mine by either using the app on my phone or on almond plus itself but did not know I can see others.  That might very well have been the problem.  The houses have some distance here, they are not on top of eachother.  I can, however connect to my almond while at my neighbors house but that is it.  And he does not have 5ghz. I think that neighbor is behind me some distance as the signal is weak.

Offline blandry186

• Peanut
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:13 pm »
I figured it out.  As of right now I am the only ac wireless around.  The other guys is not showing anymore.  I am wondering if they interfered and both went down.  He probably never noticed and that is why mine is working fine now.

Offline jjhung88

• Peanut
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 11:07:26 pm »
I am having the same problem with 5ghz dropping out. I just got a warranty replacement and after one week this happens again. I know some neighbors are using A+ too. I don't know how to check the channel used by other 5ghz band. Please help.

Offline jrwhitehead

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 04:24:26 am »
There are lots of wifi scanners out there.... You can get a nice one here: http://inssider.en.lo4d.com/

Cheers
James
------------
KICKSTARTER BACKER!!

Offline SethB

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 02:59:27 am »
I have to reboot mine every couple days because the 5Ghz network drops.  I almost think it's a memory leak, as it seems to go longer when rarely used, and fail more rapidly if I download a lot of data, but I could be wrong.  In any case, it's super annoying, I"m about to just buy another 802.11ac router and ditch the Almond+, as I don't care a bit about home automation if I can't even use the internet.

Offline Kazy

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 10:19:05 pm »
I'm having the opposite problem, my 2.4GHz network keeps dying, but the 5GHz one is fine.

Offline Deleted

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 01:44:21 pm »
The number one cause for "dropouts" on this forum seems to be an interfering signal (meaning someone else transmitting on the same channel).  Unlike some routers which seem to "roam" looking for the best channel, the A+ seems to stay on the same channel.  I had this issue and so have quite a few forum members.  After the below fix, I have had the A+ up for 38 days without an issue.

How I fixed it:
  • Get an android device or windows device.  IOS devices cannot do this
  • Download WIFIFOFUM or some other wireless scanner software.  There are many free ones
  • Watch the channel you are using for 5GHz or 2.4GHz
  • If you have interference, you will probably see another router (like a neighbor's) jumping channels; this is what happened to me
  • Change the A+ to a channel that is less populated, or the interfering  router doesn't change channels to
  • Problem solved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck