bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: New Zyxel modem, now get "internet disconnected" with range extender  (Read 5308 times)

Offline mpine1

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I have seen this topic addressed various times and spent a few hours yesterday trying various solutions with no success.

Until a month or so ago, I was using the extender very successfully with an older model DSL modem and separate wifi router.
My IP has sent me a new Zyxel model PK5001Z modem which is part modem, part router.  Now with the extender in the same location, I am unable to get an internet connection.  Actually, a few weeks ago I had tried a few attempts and actually got it to work (???) ....but I had to restart the Zyxel recently and now cannot connect again.  My new network will show up connected on my laptop/ipad for about 5 seconds, and then does not work... status on the almond says "INTERNET DISCONNECTED".  I have a strong connection between the laptop and the Almond (all bars) but no internet connection, so that does not help.

The original SSID (listed on the back of my modem) was changed from "SSIDA" to "SSIDB" in the modem wireless settings. I have tried changing the settings on the extender to connect to "SSIDB", "SSIDB_almond", "SSIDA" etc without much luck.  When I had the Almond working temporarily, I had changed the network name on the almond extender to match "SSIDA"

I checked the settings of the model wireless via the http address.  My "SSIDB" network currently has channel6, encryption set to "BOTH" AES and TKIP, and WPA-WPA2-Personal as the security.   When I connect the extender to the "SSIDB" network, it seems to automatically detect Channel 6, sets encryption to "TKIPAES"  and matches the security type automatically (WPAPSK WPA2PSK).  if I play with these settings in the modem setup, it seems that the almond automatically keeps changing them as well when it looks for that network, so they would always match

I do "not" have MAC Authentication enabled for the SSIDB network.   I tried enabling the MAC authentification and typing in the MAC bridge address as OK.... I am not sure but I may have then gotten a connection from the almond to the internet, but then my laptop and ipad can no longer connect to the almond

My software on the Almond says it is up to date.

I have a "WPS" button enabled on my modem...I tried pushing that while connecting to the modem while it was flashing red, but no luck.

All of these settings are overwhelming to me.... frustrating since with my old setup it was a piece of cake.  Is there something else obvious I am missing that I should be trying?
thanks
Marilyn

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: New Zyxel modem, now get "internet disconnected" with range extender
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:31:47 pm »
@ mpine1,

As it was working fine with the previous DSL modem, we know that the Almond was working fine. We can't connect the Almond in Range Extender mode using WPS button, it is enabled only in Router mode. However, please try the following, which would assist you in resolving the issue.

1) Please make sure the Software version on the Almond should be "AL1-R200-L299-W33". If we don't have the same version, then please go to the weblink (ww.securifi.com/software-update) to know on how to update the Software to our latest version.

2) Reset Almond to the factory default settings. To do so, press and hold the reset button (just above the power plug) for 5 seconds and release it. Almond would restart and now please try to configure it again.

3) First of all, turn off Almond, next turn off DSL router. Wait for 1 minute. Now, turn on the DSL router which you purchased and finally turn on Almond.

Offline mpine1

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »
thanks - I will try those this afternoon when I get home and will update my results

Offline mpine1

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:40:46 pm »
I have updated the software to the latest version ..... I did not realize that this was not up to date, when I checked on the Almond itself it said it was OK, but once I hardwired it to my modem it gave me the option to update to the R200 version.
I have done a factory reset, turned off almond, turned off mode, turned on modem, turned on almond, and tried to reconfigure.  I still have "INTERNET DISCONNECTED" as my status. 
I have to leave for tonight but if you bear with me I can work through your suggestions.... I was going to call in but I am not sure I have the time tonight
thanks
M

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:52:47 pm »
@ mpine1,

I regret the inconvenience caused and most probably the issue could be because of the Firewall or Encryption. Try to disable the Firewall and check, if that doesn't resolve then try to change the encryption from TKIPAES to TKIP and let us know the status.

Offline mpine1

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 01:25:48 am »
Hello, I did not adjust the firewall, however I first tried changing the encryption code to only TKIP, and this appears to have worked :-)   My range extender is now providing a strong internet connection for us now.  thank you for the assistance

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:56:32 pm »
@ mpine1,

You are most welcome and glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck