Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond+ is disappointing (Editorial)  (Read 23371 times)

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond+ is disappointing (Editorial)
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 03:06:30 pm »
@Amritendu : I think your post is extremely presumptuous. Pretty much all the kickstarter backers are aware of what they are getting into. So statements like "you invest in an idea and see it grow" are pretty condescending. Yes, we backed the idea, yes. the "potential" of the hardware is enormous.

But it is also a fact that you guys are moving extremely slow. In addition to that, you do not share a roadmap, nor do you share what your vision for the product is and what features are planned. So you have a HA rules platform that cannot handle a day change, for about 6 months now? You have disjointed UI which means that you have to create separate UIs for each of your devices, each of which has its own timeframe. The iOS app has not been updated in ages. Not only that you do not have a platform where we can contribute by adding our own devices. You choose to keep people who can help, out of this. (By you, I mean Securifi)

I had high hopes for Almond+. I still do, but I don't see you guys delivering on the promise. Even till a few weeks back, this forum was lively and there used to be good discussion. Now there are days without anybody posting. Yes, buying a router and a HA platform might be more expensive, but at least that would get the job done. Sadly, that is something you cannot say about Almond+.

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 04:08:32 pm »
The lack of an answer from anybody from Securifi is saying enough I guess?

Maybe you guys are truely working hard on making everything better, but the lack of  any timely progress (however small it may be), and the lack of what the future may (and should!) bring is what is most frustrating...

As d.kiran says, why in god's name do you have at least 3 independent GUI's (LCD, local, web, ... )?  I've been saying this from the beginning.  You add something to 1 GUI but not to the others, so you can control a sensor through the LCD but nowhere else...

Without a roadmap, it seems as if you are just adding things left and right without any structure but don't manage to complete it so you end up with differences between the UI's.

And indeed, why won't you let your backers help you? That's what we're here for, no?  Get the data you need for sensors from them, so you have more time to concentrate on the important stuff?

[edit]
One more remark I just thought of. When will we be able to change parameters for Z-wave devices?  Devices that need to be configured (like for the Fibaro roller shutter you have to set your type of switches connected) can hardly be used now (that is, if they are already supported...)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:35:55 am by Fire69 »

Offline BFH

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 10:08:55 am »
I guess the only logical reasons why they haven't posted anything about a roadmap are (a) they don't have one, or (b) we won't like it. Sad.

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 07:50:29 am »
@MrBishop

Well we are going to release Local connection of Android app directly to the Almond in a month or two, We have made beta version of app for Sensor logs, now working on Scenes, the next is Local connection. We have already started implementing it.

Please give me your EmailID with which you have affiliated your account, I will look into the problem. Yes Firmware Upgrade from app will be there in next release of app.

This is all very interesting new info!

I don't understand why you guys don't put that info in a roadmap, people are waiting for this kind of info.
We are all getting so disappointed because it seems like there is no progress and nobody is even answering anymore in this topic.
Amritendu, why didn't you just give us this little bit of info? It's not that much to ask, right?

Amritendu

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 10:52:47 am »
I have asked for a road map and will post once I receive a structured roadmap with achievable/realistic time frame.

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 04:09:11 pm »
Thank you very much!

I hope this will show what we can  expect in the future :)

Offline brantflick

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:58 am »
I have asked for a road map and will post once I receive a structured roadmap with achievable/realistic time frame.

If it's more achievable, a priority list of current action items would be super helpful.  I think most can understand that some problems and features may take longer than expected, but if we knew something were actively being worked and not shelved in favor of some other feature or fix we can have an expectation that said feature or fix will be included in the next release.  Right now it's disappointing because we don't know what's going to be included in the next release, and even if you all are aware of or working requests, issues, etc. unless someone from the team happens to come in and comment about it.

Offline rgmessick

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 10:16:27 am »
Unfortunately I couldn't wait any longer for notifications (iPhone) and other functions so I gave up and got something else.  Now my Almond+ is just an expensive temperature monitor.

Offline andersos

• Backer
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 04:38:33 am »
Yes. Please publish some sort of development updates regularly. Hopefully about planned new features too.

Offline revoman

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 10:54:03 am »
I would also like to chime in on my disappointment in the Almond+.  I waited 6 months to install it as my main router with the hope that some of the bugs would have been ironed out. 

I understand this is a Kickstarter project, and have backed many successful and unsuccessful projects.
I understand the nature of software & hardware development (been in the industry 15 years myself)
I understand that Home automation and hardware integration are HUGE problems to try to solve. 
I do appreciate the quick responses by the Securifi staff on the forums.
I also understand this is a commercial product, available through Amazon, and not an open source project. 

Being a commercial product sets expectations higher than an OpenSource project.
It is difficult to solve the Home Automation problem without sensor/hardware support/integration.
Also, the development process feels like only 1 developer is available to work on it with a bunch of management and support staff, and that poor developer is being required to hand code the support for each hardware module with only a text editor.

Some suggestions.
1) Aim to make this front end usable by my grandmother.
2) Build a plugin framework for the sensor modules so they can be added with configuration definitions instead of needing individual supporting code. 
3) Design a way for the sensor updates to be managed on a different schedule than the HA software and the base Firmware.
4) Figure out a way to leverage the talent pool of the Kickstarter backers for sensor integration. (Bounties, free sensors for completed integrations, etc)
5) Why stop there.  Look at other projects and borrow a development style that allows contributions from the community for the HA software.  We are willing and able!

I love the idea of the Almond+, and it meets some of my needs.  There is a great desire to have the completed experience now.  I have a dozen neighbors and friends that want Home Automation, but would never be able to figure out or use this platform.

Keep moving forward, and keep the dream alive.

Thanks for all your hard work,
-Nate

Offline jamenlang

• Backer
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 03:01:16 pm »
> 2) Build a plugin framework for the sensor modules so they can be added with configuration definitions instead of needing individual supporting code. 

doesn't Vera do this? Community added support for a large number of sensors rather than waiting for the development process should have been a no-brainer.
3x Cree connected bulbs - mostly working, some toggle failures using the app; Monoprice PIR - working, waiting for temperature rules;  Trane Thermostat - working; Linear T500Z - working; 3x GE outlets - working; Aeon G2 micro switch, working.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »

I too am getting very impatient with the lack of any measurable progress in getting the A+ to be reliable .  I have not been around the forum the last couple months. I come in to see that nothing seems to have changed. All the same issues that everybody has had right along are still just as prevalent.

Well except for Lars leaving . When I saw that , my first impression was that since Lars was "the voice of Securifi" for many people, that his leaving was related to the lack of any progress. I know I would get tired of making promises to people and then having to apologize when those promises were continuously broken through not fault of my own.

It has gotten so bad that I am seriously thinking of digging the old Wink out of the closet to see if they have made any progress on it's stability.  I figure that it can't possibly have gotten any worse. The main reason for replacing the Wink hub with A+ was all the issues with sensors not updating and rules not working. Of course now A+ has all those same issues. along with the added feature of " ghost rules" and the inability to keep time.

The saving grace for A+ was the WiFi stability and range. Now even WiFi has become unstable and we can no longer connect at even 1 Mbs if we are more than about 25' from the router at times. The TV is 10' from the router, and we can not stream video without constant buffering.  It is great to watch a movie that pauses for 1-2 seconds every 20 seconds to buffer.

Offline divpar

• Backer
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 11:57:59 am »
The rate at which they come up with updates is very slow. Almost 6 months have passed this year and only two updates have been released.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 12:08:33 pm »
The rate at which they come up with updates is very slow. Almost 6 months have passed this year and only two updates have been released.

There have actually been about 6 fw releases.  I was on 67 when I got mine in Jan and we are now on 76 ( although they did skip a couple). I do agree since ( the claim that ) they hired a bunch of new software engineers to work on HA integration, progress seems to have ground to a crawl.  More problems being made than solved.

Although after a year of promises, 076 did finally address the TZ resetting to UTC problem

Offline jhchang

• Backer
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
I agree with Mat - my + is rock solid as a router.  Range is good and support is awesome.  Has everyone totally blanked out on how fun it is to call DLink or Netgear support?  I've never successfully resolved an issue with either company.  At least Securifi has this forum and monitors what's happening and helps resolve issues.  For that alone, I'm glad to have backed the project.

So far, the only times I've ever had to reboot the + was for firmware updates.  I've had my internet connection go down more often than the +, especially with the more recent firmwares.  I hope I haven't just jinxed myself with that statement, but I'm very glad to have gotten this product.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck