bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: R72 - Time based Rules Trigger  (Read 9789 times)

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: R72 - Time based Rules Trigger
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 11:19:33 am »
Here are some screenshots from the Securifi website. It says you can use Time Based trigger or a Sensor based trigger. I think this is a wrong statement based on what we discussed here.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 12:19:23 pm »
Here are some screenshots from the Securifi website. It says you can use Time Based trigger or a Sensor based trigger. I think this is a wrong statement based on what we discussed here.

Not at all -- the AT time works great as a time based trigger.   I have AT rules to lock my front door at 10pm, turn out all lights at 1am (the kids leave them on sometimes).  The BETWEEN times on the other hand do NOT works as time based triggers, just "active time windows" for the rule -- sort of like "enable the rule at the start time and disable the rule at the end time"

LGNilsson

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 04:37:16 am »
I just put up a screencast on the blog yesterday explaining how to make time based rules - http://blog.securifi.com/how-to-create-a-rule-using-a-timer-and-delays-on-the-almond

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 03:47:06 pm »
I apologize in advance for being a pedantic bunny. But the rules are not clear in terms of Time. For example, the AT rule works like the following.

IF AT <time> AND <currentSensorStatus> THEN <delay>AND <sensorAction>

however, for BETWEEN, it works like

IF <sensorStatusChange> BETWEEN (<fromTime> AND <toTime> ) THEN <delay> AND <sensorAction>

The rules UI does not clearly explain this behavior. If you change the the Time section to below the device section then that would make perfect sense.

P.S. I understand that my nit-picking pedantry can be an irritating thing :-)

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 04:00:39 pm »
Actually, looking at your video, my suggestion doesn't make sense because it would have to be reworded as something other than IF and that would be complicated.

I think then @bwainscott's suggestion is the best
. SECURIFI:  would it be possible please to treat the beginning of any "between" time similar to an "at" time, in the sense that AT the start of the "between" time you check the IF of the rule and then do the actions as needed?  Thanks.

LGNilsson

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 12:01:57 am »
I'm working on a screencast that shows how to use the between option as well, should be up in a day or two.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 05:41:32 pm »
Waking this topic up.

I really hope someone from the Software development team is reading this.

Knowing this better now I agree that the rules need not be changed to be time based, however, I think there is a definitely value in evaluating the rule at the beginning of the interval, because I think that's what most users would expect. If not, then fgtech is right, the Device actions need to come first and then the time to reflect the current behavior.

Option 1:
Keep the UI as is and evaluate the rule when it first starts. Optionally have a checkmark/flag that enables or disables this in the case that is not what the customer expects.

Option 2:
If no change to the Rules evaluation can/will be made, then the UI needs to reflect the event based nature of the rules. It should have the device triggers first and then the Time.

I hope we can get someone from Almond to chime in on this.

@Ashok / Amritendu, Any of you guys willing to provide input on this. I find the between implementation to be incorrect. Can you take a feature request. Let me know if you need more details on the options above.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 09:15:59 am »
@ d.kiran,

It would be more helpful if you could get in touch with our support team at support@securifi.com to discuss more on this because here on this post we got few things discussed or send a PM to ashok.kumar@securifi.com.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck