Choose style:

Author Topic: Looking for a RGB/W LED strip controller  (Read 9002 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Looking for a RGB/W LED strip controller
« on: February 22, 2015, 05:59:15 pm »
Hello all,

I am working on a little project and was wondering if anyone knows if there is one these, , that are zigbee / z wave integrated. I'd like both app and local (switch) control. I know the color leds aren't yet supported for Almond but I am thinking about the future. I had a pipe burst (yay me) and am now rebuilding two rooms and want to integrate some RGBW Leds into the rebuilding process. Additionally, I'd like to find a way to wire a 12v converter directly into a mains line inside a box, as opposed to installing an outlet and plugging in a converter. If anyone is familiar the assistance is appreciated.

DIdn't add my link. Like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PYECABO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3N399RJVL1NOX&coliid=I24VCTJUMQPPBR&psc=1 or this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L44TO76/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3N399RJVL1NOX&coliid=I3N12W4BLHTJ5Y&psc=1

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:03:48 pm by mparadis »

Vito

Re: Looking for a RGB/W LED strip controller
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:58:11 pm »
Are you looking for something like the Philips Hue lightstrips?  They're supported in the upcoming firmware release.

http://www.mea.philips.com/c-m-li/moodlighting/

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:05:13 pm »
I'm looking for a controller / switch not the actual strip. A controller that works as a wall switch and is controllable by the app. Just like using a z wave wall switch to control a normal light. SOmething such as this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L44TO76/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3N399RJVL1NOX&coliid=I3N12W4BLHTJ5Y&psc=1 but with the connected functionality.

Offline pete

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:30:08 pm »
I have not seen anything yet like that controllable via Zigbee or Z-Wave.

That said I did beta test an updated RGB controller using the old PLC standards which included wireless connectivity.  It worked fine using PLC, Wireless or serial transport.

A new one being discussed now is one that uses a RPi for digital control.

New old stuff now too using the DMX standard that has been around a long time.

On a lark search went looking / googling and a bunch of Alibaba links came up.

Alibaba dot com has a bunch of Zigbee controllers which are DMX and Zigbee very reasonably priced.

Thinking that there is some combination DMX/Zigbee standard utilized that the Almond + could incorporate.

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:16:07 pm »
Preferably a touch screen (or compatible wall controller) as well so that I don't need to use the app to launch / change colors etc. I have seen Fibaro's and came across the Amazon one just recently.  I also found the aliexpress ones that seem to be similar to Fibaro's at a fraction of the cost (~$25) no idea if they are any good or compatible obviously. I think I'll end up with a Fibaro controller or similar in the end though.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:14:12 am »
If you find one and get it let me know. I have a few RGB strips that I use at Christmas but would love to make use of otherwise. One thing I like about the Fibaro, at least in concept, is the additional sensor inputs it allows. Those could be handy if supported.

However I must note I emailed them last week with some questions and got zero response. Not even a form response "thank you for contacting us...". That is a bit disappointing.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline randymgn

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 09:44:28 am »
Fibaro RGBW Controller may control:
  • 12 / 24VDC powered RGB strips
    12 / 24VDC powered RGBW strips
    12 / 24VDC powered LED strips, bulbs, etc.
    12 / 24VDC powered halogen lights
    12 / 24VDC powered low output power fans

Offline masonlvvy

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 03:09:19 am »
hi,anyone know where can order the RGBW LED controller with remote?

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:27:07 pm »
Additionally, I'd like to find a way to wire a 12v converter directly into a mains line inside a box, as opposed to installing an outlet and plugging in a converter.

For my kitchen under-cabinet strips, I ended up just using a wall switch to control an outlet inside a corner base cabinet and plugged a decent sized power supply into that. Then ran the 12v wire through the back of the cabinet and up inside the wall and poked it out just under the wall cabinet.

There are lots of ways to hide a power supply. That's just what worked for me with the kitchen remodel.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 17 queries.