bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Stability issues on 076?  (Read 4255 times)

Offline csete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Stability issues on 076?
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:53 pm »
I just picked this router to act as a "smart" access point.  I'm not using any of the home management features and primarily just thought it looked like a cool idea.  However, I'm about ready to send it back as it seems to stop working on a fairly regular basis.  What's more interesting is that it seems to crater the networking stack on the connected laptop to the point where it won't work for anything whether 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.  For both my work Macbook Pro (2015) and my Dell XPS 15 running latest Ubuntu I've had cases where networking just stops functioning.  To get everything up and running again, I need to shut down the Almond+, bring up my older Netgear access point and completely restart the affected laptop.

I can't keep doing this and I don't know if there is anything I can do to resolve this?  Given how few of the features I'm using, I'm not sure I really need to keep this thing... especially if it can't be stable for me.

If there are any suggestions, I'd be glad to try them before I throw in the towel and return this to Amazon.

Thanks,
Craig

PS - I've read a few of the disappointment threads on this forum.  Since I'm not even trying to do the home management functions, it isn't really worth fighting with this.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Stability issues on 076?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:24:53 pm »
I have been running MACs and PC's at both 2.4 and 5Ghz with very good results ever since receiving my Almond Plus.

So, we both have experience that differs significantly.

There is not enough in your description to offer assistance, if working the issue is what you want to do.

I'd start by asking what Region are you?
What Rev Firmware are you running? (assuming it's R76, where you running something before that was stable for you?)
What are you current configs for WiFi?
The WiFi configuration options offer several options for adjustments and it might be a good place to start.

You mention having to use the Netgear AP to "get everything up and running again", does this mean that a reboot of your Almond+ and the laptop does not solve the problem?

Does the Almond Plus ever lose connection to the WAN?
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline xaminmo

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:01:49 pm »
I have this as one of the 4 access points in my house.  This one routinely hangs.  I mean, the UI seems fine, and I stay connected, but I cannot pass traffic.  I usually connect to the other 5G access point with lower signal, just because that one works consistently.

The issue SEEMS to be with the A+ reception.  When I had this in my bedroom, up on a wall, it worked fairly well.
If I have it on a desk, I still see full signal strength, but it seems to be spotty.

I recommend you make sure it's up high on the wall somewhere, and clear line of sight.

As for the network stack on your laptop, that's 100% to do with your laptop.  Maybe it's only the A+ that triggers it, and maybe others do not, but a network stack should never wedge.

(It's like on iOS, if the network is spotty, the whole device will hang up because it doesn't put network tasks in separate threads...  etc..)
Geek, pilot, cyclist, parent.

Offline SethB

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:31:16 pm »
I'm having similar issues, though I haven't had to reboot devices to clear it.  Since upgrading to R76 a week ago (and doing a complete reset to defaults), I've already had the router stop working twice.  I typically have to switch my phone's wifi off, then use the app to reboot the router from the cloud side (so it's still working on that side) then the router comes back up and everything is fine.  If the app didn't have the ability to reset the router, I swear I'd have replaced this router weeks ago.  I've been hoping each build will get better, but this one so far seems worse to me. :(

Offline mr23

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:39:26 pm »
I'm having similar issues, though I haven't had to reboot devices to clear it.  Since upgrading to R76 a week ago (and doing a complete reset to defaults), I've already had the router stop working twice.  I typically have to switch my phone's wifi off, then use the app to reboot the router from the cloud side (so it's still working on that side) then the router comes back up and everything is fine.  If the app didn't have the ability to reset the router, I swear I'd have replaced this router weeks ago.  I've been hoping each build will get better, but this one so far seems worse to me. :(

As a co-backer, I recommend you get added to the beta; there is an R079 for a few days now that improved 5.0Ghz as well as the MultiLevelSwitch debacle. There must be a sniggling detail that has kept them from releasing it, though.

Offline csete

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:37:13 pm »
I appreciate the various suggestions, however I think I'm going to go ahead and return the unit.  While I really like the concept, the fact that I'm really not using much of its functionality and the small part I am using doesn't seem to work well for me doesn't give me enough incentive to spend a lot of time mucking around.  I do intend to keep an eye on this product line in the future to see where it goes and assuming I ever get into the home automation part of things I will definitely take another look.

Thanks again!

Offline coolmat

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 09:17:06 am »
As a co-backer, I recommend you get added to the beta; there is an R079 for a few days now that improved 5.0Ghz as well as the MultiLevelSwitch debacle. There must be a sniggling detail that has kept them from releasing it, though.

How can we get the beta version? This product is amazing and I've been using for several months now, but update 076 make the rooter unusable for a day-to-day router.

Thanks!

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.