bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch $29 @ Amazon  (Read 10482 times)

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch

Available on Amazon for $29. (retail $79)

On the list of compatible sensors for the Almond+ 2014.
http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=List_of_compatible_sensors_-_Almond%2B_2014

Pairs with Almond+ R80, no issues.
Android App Rev 4.2 Reports On/Off Status and Power Usage while On
IOS App Reports 1.5 On/Off Status and Power Usage while On
LCD Reports On/Off Status and Power Usage while On
Web User Interface Reports On/Off Status and Power Usage while On
Cloud User Interface Reports On/Off Status and Power Usage while On

The Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switch works as a Z-Wave Repeater, typical of Z-Wave devices that are A/C powered.

The switch itself has a blue LED switch for manual powering On/Off.
If the Blue LED is blinking, it is not paired with any system.

A nice, inexpensive power monitoring switch that works out of the box and is fully compatible with the Almond+ 2014.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:38:04 pm by SecureComp »
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch $29 @ Amazon
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:48:36 pm »
I have one of these and power monitoring doesn't work with R080 on the A+ or Android app.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:00:17 pm »
I have one of these and power monitoring doesn't work with R080 on the A+ or Android app.

Does for me.

So, couple things.

In the Android App, make sure the switch is On, and a something is drawing power. Then click on the wrench to see settings, click on Logs. You should see the draw.  If the draw is over 99 Watts, it may not display on the screen, but it will be in the logs. Under 99 Watts, it displays on the App's main screen.

The LCD is working for me and showing 118 Watts usage.

If you still don't see anything, I would check with Tech Support because it should be working for you.

If you were using this device prior to R80, not sure but maybe re-pairing the device would help. You should be able to check logs to see if the data is being collected. But again, Tech Support could help.

Might consider emptying the cache on the Android device. Settings/Storage/Clear Cache, and clearing the App Cache Settings/App/Almond/Clear Cache
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:01:17 am by SecureComp »
Kickstarter Backer

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:05 am »
I've tried repairing with a number of firmwares but get the same results each time. The app can control on/off and it shows some random wattage number on first pairing and stays stuck at that number forever, in every UI.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:24 am »
I've tried repairing with a number of firmwares but get the same results each time. The app can control on/off and it shows some random wattage number on first pairing and stays stuck at that number forever, in every UI.

Wow, ok, that's just not right.
I went ahead and checked my logs and double checked all the apps and I did find one instance of a strange Watt number being reported.

When I shut the device off, Power is correctly reported as 0 Watts. Powering it back on, it is grabbed an output reading that is inaccurate. As if there should be a brief delay before taking the reading.

In the morning I will try a couple different devices and see if it has something to due rising amperage draw. I'll probably try adjusting the polling/reporting interval and method.
Kickstarter Backer

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 01:00:35 pm »
With simple things like Lights/Lamps, I get good accurate information reported back.

With something like an air conditioner, I am seeing varying Watt numbers reported that are not accurate.

The instructions included with the device only mention Verizon Home Control monitoring as an App/Software Management System.

Going to keep testing with a few other units and start checking log files.
Kickstarter Backer

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:39 pm »
From the Aeon Labs Website:
http://aeotec.com/z-wave-plug-in-switch/942-smart-energy-switch-manual-instructions.html

The classes mentioned are pretty standard.

Use any of the below methods to allow power through or cut power from the Smart Energy Switch.

Through the usage of Z-Wave commands built into Z-Wave certified controllers and gateways. (The specific Z-Wave commands supporting this function are the Basic Command Class and Binary Switch Command Class.) Please consult the operation manual for these controllers for specific instructions on controlling the Smart Energy Switch.
Pressing the button on the Smart Energy Switch will toggle power flow (on/off) through the Smart Energy Switch.
Monitoring Energy Consumption

The Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switch can report wattage energy usage or kWh energy usage to a Z-Wave gateway or controller when requested. If this function is supported by the gateway/controller, the energy consumption will be displayed in the user interface of the gateway/controller. (The specific Z-Wave commands supporting energy monitoring are the Meter Command Class and Multilevel Sensor Command Class. Automatic reports go to the only association group, 1, which is setup via the Association Command Class.) Please consult the operation manual for these gateways/controllers for specific instructions on monitoring the Smart Energy Switch.
Kickstarter Backer

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:19:49 pm »
I see some numbers in the log files that are not updating in the Apps. Sent the logs to Securifi.  Below is an example.

Code: [Select]
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        364982 Jun 26 13:11 zigbee_server.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         34531 Jun 26 12:55 zwave_server.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         15383 Jun 26 12:55 zwcfg_home.xml
root@almond:/tmp# tail zwav*
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.338244144]    {PRINT}         Sending Node 4 Type_ValueChanged(2) packet to haserver
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.348753504]    {PRINT}         Value changed:Node:4,cmdcls:METER(0x32),valueType:decimal,Index:8,Value:77.300
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.371381896]    {PRINT}         persisting zwcfg_home.xml file
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.431833739]    {PRINT}         Sending Node 4 Type_ValueChanged(2) packet to haserver
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.450075136]    {PRINT}         Value changed:Node:4,cmdcls:METER(0x32),valueType:decimal,Index:9,Value:3.842
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.472933068]    {PRINT}         persisting zwcfg_home.xml file
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.533627263]    {PRINT}         Sending Node 4 Type_ValueChanged(2) packet to haserver
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.544150010]    {PRINT}         Value changed:Node:4,cmdcls:METER(0x32),valueType:int,Index:10,Value:14
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.566828415]    {PRINT}         persisting zwcfg_home.xml file
[2015-6-26 12:55:6.627218171]    {PRINT}         Sending Node 4 Type_ValueChanged(2) packet to haserver
root@almond:/tmp# view zwcfg*

The 77.3 Watts is being displayed but the 3.842 Watts is not, neither is 14.  That might be the startup surge versus running power?
Anyway, I'll look at the classes, xml files and logs and see if I can make sense of what's happening.
Kickstarter Backer

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:37:41 am »
When I run the sample switch app against the SES and tell it to turn on and monitor the callbacks, I am getting correct power readings for the air conditioner.

Basically I am sending the setSwitchOn(True) command and then getDeviceName, getLastNotificationIndexName, getLastNotificationIndexValue

Device Created Callback: House
Index: STATE, Value: true
Index: STATE, Value: false
Index: STATE, Value: true
Index: STATE, Value: false
Device Created Callback: Stereo Lamp
Index: SWITCH BINARY, Value: false
Index: SWITCH MULTILEVEL, Value: 0
Index: SWITCH MULTILEVEL, Value: 255
Device Created Callback: TV Lamp
Index: SWITCH BINARY, Value: false
Device Created Callback: Air Conditioner
Index: POWER, Value: 81.982W
Index: POWER, Value: 544.327W
Index: POWER, Value: 81.587W

The first few entries are me switching lights on or off, the Power/Air Conditioner entries show accurate power readings.  These readings do show up in the IOS and Android App properly.

So it looks like the SES just needs a little wake up (send it some command) and it will report back current usage.

Since we only care about power usage when it's already on, a simple script that sends a setSwitchOn(True) is enough to get a response from the SES with an updated power reading. This is very easily programmed for whatever interval you want.  The app would be a minor tweak to the improved sample switch app and would go something like this.

./almond/powermonitor (device id) (interval in seconds)
And powermonitor.cpp would compile to powermonitor executable and simple send an ON command to the SES every X seconds.

I'll create a new thread with the c++ files needed.
Kickstarter Backer

Offline bjp

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:54 pm »
This is very helpful information, but if I read it right, I can write my own executable that I can run on the Almond+ which will repeatedly send "On" commands to update the power usage, but then I can't use the switch as it was intended (as a switch).  Is there any way to get the Almond+ system to request the appropriate updates?

Basically, I have some of these switches and I want to use them like any reasonable person would -- I want them to automatically report power consumption periodically when they are on.  I can't do that with the Almond+ as it is; how can I adjust things to make that happen?

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 02:24:50 pm »
Yes. You are correct.

The ON function is not the best way to "poll" a device. Better to use something that reports back a status without taking an action. Take a look at the SDK info, pick something and compile it up and let us know how it works.
Kickstarter Backer

Offline mikeys63

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 10:47:33 pm »
Since the rules interface does not have any other options besides "on" and "off" for this device, I use the rule 'if the device is on turn it on' to get an accurate measure of the switched device's power.  I execute this rule after I know the device inrush current has settled and at other times I want to log the device power.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 01:53:24 pm »
Since the rules interface does not have any other options besides "on" and "off" for this device, I use the rule 'if the device is on turn it on' to get an accurate measure of the switched device's power.  I execute this rule after I know the device inrush current has settled and at other times I want to log the device power.

How did that work for you ? At $29 ea or 2/$49 I might just have to get a couple.  I have yet to ever get Peanut to report anything, so decided it was time to look at other options.
Be nice to be able to see just how much it costs me to run the air compressor. Be even nicer to be able to turn it off/on without having to go into the basement.

Offline mikeys63

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:11 pm »
It has been working well most of the time.  I get what I believe is reasonably accurate power when the rule runs and I am able to view the log file with power measurements on my Android phone (sometimes I have to press the view logs button twice).  The reporting stopped working after about 10 days, but I rebooted the Almond+ and it is now working again.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck