Choose style:

Author Topic: Confused location data?  (Read 4393 times)

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Confused location data?
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:22:19 pm »
I'm having an interesting problem since upgrading to R080.
On all mobile devices connected to the router, even though it's set to the correct time zone in both OpenWRT, NutsOS and on the LCD UI, they think they're on Taiwan time.
Also, if I open up Google maps on a mobile device, I end up somewhere very close to Securifi's offices on the map as the default location, even though I'm in a different country.
Has anyone else seen this and does anyone have any explanations to why this could be happening?
I've tried a hard reset, no change.  ???
I guess I should point out that I'm using PPPoE as well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:28:30 pm by TheLostSwede »

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
Re: Confused location data?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:41:31 am »
@ ThelostSwede,

That's very strange because Almond+ doesn't save any data of the previous location. Could you please go to google.com and just type "Date" hit search and check the output. If possible can you try with a different router and let us know the status.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:51:22 am by Ashok »

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:11:17 pm »
The BT provided router worked just fine. This only seems to happen on mobile devices, but we had some friends here over the weekend and they had the same issue.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 06:26:04 pm »
This happened once when I was using an android device. I had downloaded a malicious app that changed the proxy in my android and transferring all traffic through that.

I am not sure why it would happen across your friends devices though.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:41:35 pm »
@ ThelostSwede,

I somehow still think that it is an issue with the incoming connection to the Almond+ is causing it. Any possibility of checking the Almond+ at a different place in the same location?

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:27:01 am »
It's connected directly to a fibre converter, so putting it somewhere else wouldn't make sense, since it has to be connected to the fibre converter or I won't have internet.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:49:00 am »
@ TheLostswede,

We had a similar case, where cust was in Germany but it was showing France as the location on client devices. However, when we requested him to check the Almond+ at a different place in the same location it was working fine with out any concerns. When I meant different place, not exactly in the same house but at a different house like friends or family or office etc..,. 

Offline sTaney

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:27:16 pm »
Yep it was me with being actually located in Germany but shown being in France.
This issue still exists at my place, it is strange but I had a workaround at least for my special case.

I have a Fritzbox 7490 setup only as a modem and use the Almond+ to route. In this special occasion the Almond+
always shows me being right next to Paris. This is so weird, because the exact address is the address where the Almond+ was first setup and connected to the Internet.

This "bug" disappears when I turn on the Wifi on my Fritzbox. So I just turn it on and never use it.
Even if I only hide the Fritzbox Wifi SSID I'm right back in France. So for me I have to leave it on and visible to be shown at the right place with all of my devices. This is so weird but hopefully it will be gone someday.

@TheLostSwede like you, I did many many hard resets and had already many talks with Ashok. Somehow this bug persists.
Strange enough, when I move the Almond+ to my Families House 20 km away, also with a Fritzbox 7490 everything is fine.

Greetings Stan
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:29:27 pm by sTaney »

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 03:33:53 pm »
I am monitoring the topic because this is interesting :-).. Just curious.

This is so weird, because the exact address is the address where the Almond+ was first setup and connected to the Internet.

Also, if I open up Google maps on a mobile device, I end up somewhere very close to Securifi's offices on the map as the default location, even though I'm in a different country.

This can't be random. Was your router ever sent to Securifi's offices or did you get one that was used there and then sent to you ?

Offline pete

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:23 pm »
Curious what you see when you type (here tried it just now)

ICS-Almond-2:~# date +%Z

CDT

I have read about mobile phones getting discombobulated or resetting their clocks to some static roaming vendor source NTP server on the other side of the world via initially the carrier.

I have an older HTC phone today that is custom cooked that would occasionally reset itself to the country of its origin.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:52:24 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 07:11:35 pm »
There are plenty of hard coded IP addresses in the almod, especially in the ipsec stuff. (Thinking those were Germany) might want to check racoon and a bunch of the config stuff.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 25 queries.