Choose style:

Author Topic: Utilize the smart functionality built into the Amazon Echo  (Read 8296 times)

Offline sgfgator

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Utilize the smart functionality built into the Amazon Echo
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:50:39 pm »
Utilize the smart functionality built into the Amazon Echo. The Echo now supports select Phillips Hue and WeMo products.

Offline jamenlang

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Utilize the smart functionality built into the Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 03:49:34 pm »
Bump. I would like to use the home/away functionality of almond as they roll it out but I don't need another keyfob. If I could just speak and have alexa pick up on my whereabouts and update the router accordingly that would be amazing.
3x Cree connected bulbs - mostly working, some toggle failures using the app; Monoprice PIR - working, waiting for temperature rules;  Trane Thermostat - working; Linear T500Z - working; 3x GE outlets - working; Aeon G2 micro switch, working.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:37:13 pm »
IFTTT support may make it possible... Although either way (directly support ECHO or IFTTT) it is work Securifi needs to do.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline jamenlang

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:39:57 pm »
Securifi publishing an app for Amazon Echo to talk with almond servers and control sensors would be ideal.

Echo SDK options:

Account Linking or Creation
Do you allow users of your App to create an account or link to an existing account with you? Note: your App is prohibited from collecting personal information by voice.

» Yes » No

With it not being natively supported like hue the voice commands would be a little bit of a mouthful, but still incredibly awesome.

(Alexa || Amazon), Tell Almond to turn on living room light.
(Alexa || Amazon), Tell Almond to dim basement light to 90%

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:42:32 pm by jamenlang »
3x Cree connected bulbs - mostly working, some toggle failures using the app; Monoprice PIR - working, waiting for temperature rules;  Trane Thermostat - working; Linear T500Z - working; 3x GE outlets - working; Aeon G2 micro switch, working.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:45:32 pm »
All of this is available without using Amazon Echo.
I have a prototype working now.

Voice Recognition
NLP
Action DB
Link to Almond to execute commands using SDK

You can run it on a PC/MAC or Phone. Soon a tablet and a standalone Raspberry Pi.

The advantage of Echo is the high level NLP and learning. The downside is that the system is always 'listening' and after the keyword, everything is sent to the Amazon Cloud and stored forever. Same thing with Apple.

I'll have an Echo shortly and will work the integration anyway, because folks will want it. But the standalone unit is also a nice option.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline jamenlang

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:10 am »
I get that some people would want to handle the voice recognition on their own equipment. However, my experience with the reliability of a raspberry pi is not good. I don't need another device/appliance constantly running and wondering what broke when it doesn't work. I like to tinker as much as the next guy, but cloud to cloud communication  with seamless backend updates is the obvious winner between the two options.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:28:02 pm »
I get that some people would want to handle the voice recognition on their own equipment. However, my experience with the reliability of a raspberry pi is not good. I don't need another device/appliance constantly running and wondering what broke when it doesn't work. I like to tinker as much as the next guy, but cloud to cloud communication  with seamless backend updates is the obvious winner between the two options.

Raspberry Pi was just an example and though your experience with the Pi may not have been reliable, there are a couple hundred thousand happy users. There are plenty of other options for both an embedded and non embedded solution hardware solution.

I beg to differ with the Cloud to Cloud communication with OTA updates being the 'obvious' winner but it absolutely is a fine solution. I suspect there is also a significant market for the stand alone solution.

All that said, you will see it integrated with Alexa at some point, the assumption being that Securifi continues to exist and move forward with the Almond line of products.

Like I said, I and many others already use a Voice Response system to interact with our home automation systems, integration with Alexa isn't a big deal. My Alexa is ordered and I'll be working on some SDK stuff to create an interface in lieu of an API.  Before Securifi works this issue, I'd like to see Rules matured, Scenes implemented, firmware matured, compatible sensors increased and a few other things as well.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline jamenlang

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:57:40 pm »
Wink support was added to the Echo today. Has anyone used Wink with the Echo yet?

I'd get a Wink hub but the reviews are pretty bad and the response time is not great from what I've heard from friends.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 18 queries.