bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Is this product dead? Should I write off my investment and move on?  (Read 82082 times)

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Is this product dead? Should I write off my investment and move on?
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »
Someone please check the Cree Connected Smart Bulb LEDs for compatibility with the latest beta when it becomes available.  I'd do it myself but don't have time.  I have several of the Cree Connected Smart LEDs and am still stuck on release R72 to keep them somewhat supported -- have had problems with all later firmware releases I've tried.  Haven't personally tried R80 firmware with them yet -- I remember reading someone else was still having problems with R80 and the Cree Connected LEDs, so didn't bother.

Would really like to see the latest general firmware release have them working so I can upgrade my firmware without losing functionality.

Securifi has a Cree Connected Smart LED bulb on hand for testing, so if anyone finds compatibility bugs, they should be able to test to replicate the problem and fix it hopefully.

Thanks!

Johnny

I have 20-30 of those bulbs in use so I will be working the issue along with others I'm sure.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline johnnyprivate

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 09:08:03 pm »
@Securecomp -- great, thanks!

Offline Exquisik

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 10:11:09 pm »
@ All,

No guys, we have not given up. Many of our developers are spending 50-60hr weeks working on our next release. This will be a big one. It will have the following features
-Scenes
-Nest Integration
-Support for more sensors
-Improvements to Rules Engine
-Two big surprises

We can't commit to a release date but these features are working in our lab already and we're fixing bugs now. We want to make sure its a well tested before release. If any of you want to do early beta testing, please let us know. But you will have to sign an NDA. We want to make sure there is an element of surprise and we can do some PR activities when these features are announced.

We will continue to add new features and fix bugs for Almond routers for the foreseeable future. After this new release, we will talk about what comes after that.

I hope one of the two big surprises is compatibility with Amazon Echo.  If Securifi can get the Almond+ to work with Amazon Echo and advertise it through Amazon, it will be a major hit.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 01:39:13 pm »
I hope one of the two big surprises is compatibility with Amazon Echo.  If Securifi can get the Almond+ to work with Amazon Echo and advertise it through Amazon, it will be a major hit.

I'm with you. I am about ready to dig the stupid Wink hub out of the closet , just so I can control more than just my 1 ( unreliable) WeMo switch with our Echoes .  I would even be happy if they could get the app to work with our Kindles, get the notifications on Fire phone.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:43:05 pm by rldreams »

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 04:09:06 pm »
I'm hoping that its one of the big surprises is an Open API.  Once they fix the platform to allow API connections, things like IFTTT and Echo become much easier to intergrate with.  And maybe the other surprise is intergration with something like Echo/IFTTT.  Both of which I will gladly test.   ;D

Offline TEmp

• Backer
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 06:34:29 pm »
Updated OpenWRT version with package support would be much appreciated.

Offline SnapPop

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:23 am »
Hi Ashok,

While the Almond+ has Home and Away, it does not have "Stay" mode.
Currently you are limited to saying you are either arming or disarming the alarm.
The issue with this is that if you want to have windows/glass break sensors on when you are at home, you can't have motion sensors there as well.

Hence the need for three modes:
Away: all sensors, motion, door, window, break
Stay: door, window, break
Home/disarm: sensors off except for other such as other rules or flood sensors only e.g.

-Alan

@ All,

No guys, we have not given up. Many of our developers are spending 50-60hr weeks working on our next release. This will be a big one. It will have the following features
-Scenes
-Nest Integration
-Support for more sensors
-Improvements to Rules Engine
-Two big surprises

We can't commit to a release date but these features are working in our lab already and we're fixing bugs now. We want to make sure its a well tested before release. If any of you want to do early beta testing, please let us know. But you will have to sign an NDA. We want to make sure there is an element of surprise and we can do some PR activities when these features are announced.

We will continue to add new features and fix bugs for Almond routers for the foreseeable future. After this new release, we will talk about what comes after that.

Offline parryj5

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2015, 05:01:42 pm »
I am agreeing with a lot of others that the wait between major upgrades and lack of product awareness by a lot of the larger companies to want to integrate with this product make other platforms like SmartThings look too attractive to pass up.  Was hoping the Almond+ would have developed along to do the things that it mentioned, but it seems that lack of features and stability mean I have to move on.  Good luck to everyone else that sticks it out, and hope it does everything at some point soon. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:25:58 pm by parryj5 »

Offline revoman

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 04:29:17 pm »
Being a bit frustrated with the HA side of things I was looking at a competitor's site today.  Luckily I found this thread, and saw Ashok's post about new features in the pipeline. 

I'm attaching a link from one of the competitors to show what I really want from a device like the Almond+.  I don't want it to do "EVERYTHING"; I just want it to do things well, and allow me to leverage the work of others to make it do what I want. 

https://community.smartthings.com/t/list-of-all-officially-published-apps-from-the-more-category-of-smart-setup-in-the-mobile-app/13673

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »
Didn't read all of the list, but Almond+ can do a lot of that withy the rules engine.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2015, 06:34:22 pm »
@Revoman @Blueiris

I agree that the Almond+ can do several of the items on the list, but as I read through the list I don't believe the Almond+ does many of them reliably, bug free, and I would not put my trust in it. I think Revoman's comment is on target as far as getting things working WELL. If I can't trust the various Almond+ methods (App, LCD, Web, Cloud) to reliably open/close or lock/unlock something and report the right status then it's nothing more than a lamp timer (which also doesn't always work if the cloud is down but at least that isn't super important).

Offline rpr69

• Backer
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »
I'm really seriously looking at getting a SmartThings hub. Their community support seems really good, and they even have an IDE to create and modify devices, so it appears that even if something isn't directly supported, it can in most cases be made to work. They also have what looks like a very robust and well documented developer interface to help with getting custom devices to work. So far, I'm impressed with what I see, as impressed with that as I am disappointed that we haven't heard anything from Securifi in a long time, and have not had a firmware update in over 2 months.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 02:51:50 pm »
............................................... I am disappointed that we haven't heard anything from Securifi in a long time, and have not had a firmware update in over 2 months.

Given the request for more Beta testers in the forum, I would think that it will be a while before we see another general release of firmware.

Offline Schwartz

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 05:38:57 pm »
In the end I got an Xclaim Xi-3 for Wi-Fi and a Smartthings hub for HA. I've just relegated my Almond+ to routing duties for now. Luckily the type of Ethernet connectors I use stay in place. Really though the Almond+ overall has been a letdown to me given the length of time I have had it. It felt like it had so much potential in all areas just waiting to be unlocked with software updates; but it doesn't seem to be happening.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:42:28 pm by Schwartz »

Offline rpr69

• Backer
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:48 pm »
Yeah, I was hoping that the whole beta tester signup was an indication that things were moving, but it's been a ghost town so far in terms of getting anything to test. I also notice that Smartthings has IFTTT and Pushbullet integration already. Honestly, the more I look into it, the more I am inclined to switch.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck