Choose style:

Author Topic: Is this product dead? Should I write off my investment and move on?  (Read 81896 times)

Offline obmd1

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Is this product dead? Should I write off my investment and move on?
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »
We're all beta testers. I'm thinking smart things over any of the other HA platforms. I need something that will allow me to use the sensors I bought for the Almond +.

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2015, 12:12:30 pm »
I plan to keep the almond at very least as an access point ,  but at the same time...
I'm looking at the Isy from UDI
forum.universal-devices.com/
Does insteon and z-wave.
The forum has extremely knowledgeable people and the ceo responds to posts all the time.
They are about stability all day long.
Worth a look.

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2015, 07:49:08 pm »
I plan to keep the almond at very least as an access point ,  but at the same time...
I'm looking at the Isy from UDI
forum.universal-devices.com/
Does insteon and z-wave.
The forum has extremely knowledgeable people and the ceo responds to posts all the time.
They are about stability all day long.
Worth a look.

That's excellent.. Thanks!

Offline medatom

• Backer
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2015, 11:01:12 pm »
Any product supporting both zwave and zigbee? Looks like vera,isy are out. Wink is garbage still....

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2015, 11:17:37 pm »
I think SmartThings is the next best alternative.

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2015, 07:13:02 am »
Homey does both and much more.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2015, 03:45:00 pm »
The website still says pre-order, but have they shipped to the backers? I did not back them in Kickstarter after the Almond+ experience, but I would assume they would have similar startup problems as Almond+ .

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2015, 04:20:09 pm »
Homey does both and much more.

$470 US , it ought to do more...here's hoping they live up to the advertising. Definitely an interesting project.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 07:33:49 am »
$470 US , it ought to do more...here's hoping they live up to the advertising. Definitely an interesting project.

I agree , almost triple the price and twice as many promises as A+

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:49 am »
Pre-order is 299€, that's 332$. Where do you get the 470?
When you got it from Kickstarter it was only half, just like the A+.
Technically the Wink looks best with Z-Wave, Zigbee and BT for just 50 bucks. But apparently it's not very stable?

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2015, 01:06:14 pm »
Wink is *not* stable..

Am looking for an HA device myself.. Pondering SmartThings, VeraEdge, Staples Connect V2, others..

Any recommendations?

Offline pete

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2015, 04:45:16 pm »
Yeah maybe now an Open API would help?

You can also look at Homegenie as there was mention of a Zigbee driver for it a few years back.  It is free and runs just fine on the RPi2.

Another option is to have a look at OpenHab 2.0.  That too now runs fine on the RPi2.

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2015, 01:07:51 am »
Pre-order is 299€, that's 332$. Where do you get the 470?
When you got it from Kickstarter it was only half, just like the A+.
Technically the Wink looks best with Z-Wave, Zigbee and BT for just 50 bucks. But apparently it's not very stable?

Homey was originally to deliver the first batch at 400 Euros (conversion rate in April 2014, when ordered was 1.4, not the 1.1 of today or $560 or $420 for the 299 level), delivered April 2015. The hardware won't actually ship until Aug 2015 (20 units only) at earliest and software is Beta. Sound familiar? Yes, later units were less expensive but don't have a ship date yet and the software is a wait an see at this point. Those fortunate enough to wait for the conversion rate to drop to 1.1 of today will indeed get it for about $330 US. Then again, when that product will actually be delivered is unknown. My guess, 2016 with software drops well into 2016.

Smartthings is a nice controller option but lacks the all in one functionality of the Almond+.

OpenHAB on an RPi2 works but it's still a DIY'er solution. Lots of stuff is still be ported to the RPi2 so there are plenty of challenges just getting simple stuff working when you are actually trying to accomplish something specific and not just load up an O/S and play.

My experience with the Almond+ is still one of satisfactory WiFi service and control of the basics of lights, locks, alarms and a few switches at multiple residences. Bugs with a few common items is irritating but not a show stopper imho. To be honest, the more I code, the less I am using the apps. My system is entirely driven by Voice Response at this point and I get verbal updates on status. When I finish working a few more issues, I'll turn my attention to some apps.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline pete

« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2015, 09:48:51 am »
Yeah here originally tested OpenHab 1.X on Ubuntu 32/64 bit and specifically only one plugin which related to my Leviton OmniPro Panel (OmniLink). 

The author of said plugin has a history of use going back before OpenHab was around.  The easy peasy configuration was a diagnostic mode write to a log and import to specific device items making it's use and configuration fast.

I have to date only tested the demo OpenHab 2.0 interface on Ubuntu (and only have read that it works fine on the RPi2).  The OpenHab 2.0 version appears to be much more refined than OpenHab 1.0.

Base automation hardware here is via the combo Leviton HAI OmniPro II and software (since 1998) Homeseer.  Devices utilized are X10, Insteon, UPB, Z-Wave and now Zigbee.  Doubling up on controllers have matched sets on the hardware and software.  I did migrate to multitoggle / many dual load UPB in wall switches here a few years back.

Relating to the Almond + personally have left it in testing mode rather than production which does ding me in a way not testing as much as I want to.  It has worked fine for me.  It is a one of a kind device with no match out there today that I know of.  That said the idea was/is unique & logical. I do not think yet that there is a combo touchscreen, AP, firewall, router and automation box to date (?).

Concurrent with said tinkering of the Almond + went on a tangent a bit with OpenWRT getting a bit familiar with it and what I could do with it using microrouters.   Caveat here has been limited memory and CPU speeds (which the Almond + has more of).  I got spoiled with the every / always updated OpenWrt firmware revisions.

Production AP today is Ubiquiti and firewall is PFSense (BSD)).  IE: used one custom AP / network just for the Amazon Echo play stuff. 

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline medatom

• Backer
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »
Samsung smartthings V2 just opened for pre-order for $99. Looks like it controls both zwave and zigbee. I am going to be running the almond plus as router only for now!!!! If you need to pre-order go to amazon. I am not sure we are allowed to provide links here.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck