Choose style:

Author Topic: Is this product dead? Should I write off my investment and move on?  (Read 82218 times)

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Is this product dead? Should I write off my investment and move on?
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2015, 01:34:52 am »
Samsung smartthings V2 just opened for pre-order for $99. Looks like it controls both zwave and zigbee. I am going to be running the almond plus as router only for now!!!! If you need to pre-order go to amazon. I am not sure we are allowed to provide links here.

Actually directly from smartthings you can get a bundle with PIR, D/W sensor and the Samsung for $99. It is not hard to find the link for the promo bundle and the code.

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2015, 08:09:40 am »
Samsung Smartthings V2 looks like a good intro for those wanting to use a cloud connected hub and their smart phones for automation.

I am not knocking cloud based automation.  I think it's a great idea and mechanism to get folks automating.  It is not for me.

The Almond + unique piece is the LCD display.  An Open API would allow integration making it a multi-functional controller and toggle on or off the cloud based stuff which was promised a long time ago.

Here primarily keep automation at home.  I have used the Microsoft SAPI stuff since the late 1990's.

New stuff relating to SAPI these days is integration with the Microsoft Kinect (and using Cortana) and autonomously integrating the Amazon Echo stuff.

I like the new wireless sensors which work with Zigbee or Z-Wave.  I have not found a reason yet to use a wireless RGB LED lamps; but testing these for fun and because I can.  (regular LED bulbs and LED RGB strip). 

I use EL lighting here for the hallways / bathrooms and it works great for me.

That said relating to security I am primarily wired and do utilize Leviton/HAI/GE wireless boxes on two security panels these days.

CCTV is all wired these days and now mostly IP HD POE stuff.

I can today optionally use IFTTT, cloud and Android, Iphone or Windows Phones to remote my automation software/firmware.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:16:32 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline lmmmmm

• Chestnut
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2015, 01:34:59 pm »
v2 supposedly has local option instead of cloud.

Offline fuadar

• Backer
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:38 pm »
With the Google OnHub Announcement , I might just toss my Almond+.
the 5ghz has been buggy to begin with. I havent had time to tinker with much home automation since i've been using wink hub . I need  a stable high speed wifi connection and almond+ has failed to deliver that. I for one am writing my investment off

Offline syxbit

• Backer
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2015, 10:00:31 pm »
Yes. The product is dead. At least I only wasted $95

Offline Evan55

• Backer
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2015, 10:23:34 am »
I was a big fan of the Almond+ for a long time,  but they have let us all down bigtime.

Ive been using Staples Connect (Dlink) and its a breath of fresh air.   Its not perfect but its pretty darn good and is getting better. 
Unfortunately the zigbee sensors that Securifi swindled me into buying dont work with it. 

I just pre ordered Smartthings v2.   It seems to be the future, with both great device compatibility and an API.
Hard to believe SmartThings V1 was on kickstarter not long before Almond+ was,  and not only was that product functional,  they are about to release v2.   

Yes. The product is dead. At least I only wasted $95
unfortunately some of us bought a bunch of sensors too  :-[   (which I havent gotten to work with any other HA hub)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:27:28 am by Evan55 »

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2015, 11:52:23 am »
Waiting to see what the "big surprises" are before switching the A+ to router only duty.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:26 pm »
Waiting to see what the "big surprises" are before switching the A+ to router only duty.

Seriously... I think it's going to be worth the wait...

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2015, 02:35:18 pm »
You can always try to sell the sensors. They are pretty generic so I am surprised there is trouble having them work with other controllers EXCEPT for pairing issues where they "know" they were already paired with something. Resetting them first might help there.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2015, 03:38:20 pm »
Seriously... I think it's going to be worth the wait...

You mean the wait for the initial release or the debugged version?

Is ST v2 that much different than v1?

Offline Neel737

• Backer
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2015, 10:00:42 pm »
You mean the wait for the initial release or the debugged version?

Is ST v2 that much different than v1?

For me, the biggest selling point for ST v2 is the "local" option as opposed to "cloud only" option in v1. I will wait for the A+ "big surprises" before making the switch though.

Offline pete

« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2015, 08:13:18 am »
Why would a company create a universal do what automation hub that worked with any other automation company sensor anyways? 

It is not a win win for them even though they give the "service" for free (well for a time). 

These start up companies have not to date given out those wireless automation trinkets. (well and automated in wall switches, lamp modules, appliance modules, PIR modules, water sensors, et al) in one low priced package deal.  (maybe 2-3 of them only).

And it already has flopped big time with all of the big box stores. 

Geez who really would purchase their automation from an office supply store anyways?

What dumb idea that was on their part.  That said though here purchase much from Amazon these days and even get Sunday deliveries.

And really who wants to purchase by the month something from their ISP provider that they never own but just pay for by the month anyways....(note that is a real win win for the ISPs). 

Many ISPs have already implemented that combination router, firewall, switch and access point that you only rent (event though you purchase it).  Do you really trust that the the ISPs will just give you automation for just 99 ¢ a month?  Note that the big ISPs have to make money and they are not charitable organizations that I know of.

Next steps is the introduction of automation to the same ISP provided leased box.

Who did come up with that first anyways?   

Geez could it have been the Securifi Almond + with a build in LCD combination router, switch, access point and automation box?

C'mon guys do not stop now 

Unrelated but personally still call cotton on a stick a Q-Tip and I still Tivo my live TV (well and don't really watch live TV anymore).  My one time paid Ooma VOIP box is still working though now having to pay a monthly tax on it. The local infrastructure here is so broke now that they want to % tax a % tax to make more monies; geez what a great idea that is?

Personally a package deal of say one automation hub and 100 proprietary or generic automation trinkets and a cellular phone account (not metered) for a low low price of $49.99 USD ($1 a month for unlimited unmetered cellular phone internet access) with free optional cloud connectivity for 5 years would nice.

Well and it would be a great intro for that newbie automation person not wanting to spend much money and get submersed in that automation thing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:47:51 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline rpr69

• Backer
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2015, 12:38:44 pm »
Sorry Pete, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make, and what product or service you are referring to. It seems like a long winded rant against...something...but I'm not too sure. Regardless, you certainly haven't convinced me to stick with the Almond+ as anything but a wireless router.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2015, 04:40:36 pm »
RPR69, I got lost about 1/2 way through Pete's speech too. I do agree that buying  Schlage locks from AT&T  for " only" $149ea + $99 installation then paying them $9.99 per lock a month ( with a minimum 2 year commitment)  to be able to control them with my phone/tablet is definitely a win win for them and a complete waste of money for the consumer.
I already emptied the trash, but I think this morning's offer was $199 down/ $69 month for 1 PIR, 1 lock, 1 camera , siren and hub.

Offline pete

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2015, 09:41:22 pm »
Yup; I apologize it was just a me being a curmudgeon (old man rant) and was kind of going in to what will be happening relating to automation for the masses and how it already has begin..

Well and to point that the Almond + is a one of a kind unique edge router with a patented touch screen interface.

An yup it doesn't really mean much other than that. 

.... but I have no idea what point you are trying to make, and what product or service you are referring to.

I was writing mostly about ISPs here in general and the trending that I see relating to bringing automation / security to the home via an ISP.

That said this relating to the US as I have no clues about ISPs outside of the US.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:43:23 pm by pete »
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck