bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: LINEAR FS20Z-1  (Read 6525 times)

Offline jnowland

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
LINEAR FS20Z-1
« on: July 26, 2015, 01:56:09 pm »
Please someone help me. I have this switch installed in my garage to turn my pool pump on and off. My A+ seems to lose connectivity with the switch, which results in the rules not activating.  I have paired, un-paired, re-paired this device a number of times, which is successful each time however, over time the same result occurs. I have a Linear WD500Z switch installed in the same area of the garageand I have the same issues with it losing connectivity.  That switch is connected to a security light however, and remains on. I don't have rules for it, so I'm not as concerned. But the FS20Z I need it's rules to activate.  It isn't a distance issue because I am using a Aeon Labs power monitoring plug in Appliance Switch in my shed, which is further away. It never loses connectivity and the response time is very quick.  Please tell me why I have issues only with the Linear devices.  Well, I do have connectivity issues with my Schlage plug in Lamp switches, but I really need help with the FS20Z!

Specifications:
Maximum Load:
Isolated Contacts: 20 amps G.P. maximum, 277 VAC, 10FLA, 60LRA, 250VAC
Motor: 1 H.P. maximum, 120/240 VAC
Incandescent: TV8 (Tungsten), 120 VAC, 960W maximum
Signal (Frequency): 908.42 MHz
J-Box mounted
Dry or wet contact applications
Range: Up to 100 feet line of sight between the controller and/or the closest Z-Wave device
Input: 120 VAC, 50/60 Hz
Z-Wave Version 4.55
Network wide inclusion
Scene: Command Class
Security beaming
Isolated Relay Output up to 277v

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: LINEAR FS20Z-1
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »
I will take a look at getting mine hooked up and see if I run into similar issues. I bought one because of your previous posting (great price) but have not had a chance to hook it up (nor much need yet to be honest).

That being said I DO run into issues with some of my Z-Wave devices and highly variable ranges. My Intermatic CA9000 motion detectors seem to have a range between 15 and 20ft straight line with typical house construction. None of the 6 I have will work from my garage (~25ft with 2 walls between it and the Almond+). None of them seem to be working over the mesh networking. All 6 are mains powered with battery backup and are SUPPOSED to work as repeaters as well when on AC power. Could fool me.

Next is the 4 Linear WD500Z Dimmer Switches I have scattered around the house (one is within 5FT of where I want the motion sensor in the garage). All of these are supposed to act as repeaters also.

Last I have 3 of the RP200RNX Dimmers scattered around. One IN the garage...

So in my book... you never can tell what your Z-Wave mesh looks like. I wish there were CHEAP tools out there or diagnostics built into the Almond+ that could tell me individual device signal strength, hops, etc... So that MAYBE I could do more to figure out what is wrong with some of my stuff. At the same time the ability to "heal" the mesh or such would be useful.

Anyways... I will try out the FS20Z (going to go hook it up now) and see what I can do to help.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:12:43 pm »
Got my FS20Z wired up (very DIY) with an extension cord, outlet, and some LED lights so I can see when it works. After a while of just trying to get it working (I was being dumb) got it figured out. It is now the farthest item in my house (far corner of my garage) and WORKED. First time the delay was pretty significant (~5 seconds compared to less than 1) but then it got down to under 2 seconds subsequently. My guess would be that first time from the "distant" spot was when it was figuring out the mesh but that is just IMO.

Unplugging it for the night (better safe that sorry with how I did it so far) but I will see if I can replicate the issue so that Securifi can have two different device logs on what might be going on.

2 questions:
1) Did you send device logs to Securifi yet?
2) How far is your FS20Z (and/or the WD500Z) from your Almond+? I think you mentioned in a previous post that you tried the Almond+ at ~20ft and still had issues. I am well beyond that at this point but want to make sure I am "in the ballpark". I can always run an extension cord to make it further.

Offline jnowland

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:22:11 am »
Fillibar,

First I want to thank you for such a detailed and helpful reply.  You don't see this on other sites.  Instead we find those who decide to simply be condescending, like the "Office Computer Guy" character on SNL a while back.  Not sure if you've seen it...anyway  lol

No, I have not sent the logs to Securifi yet.
I moved my A+ to within about 15 to 20 feet from the Linear devices in my garage.  There are two walls in between, but as I mentioned about the Aeon Labs device is much further away with the same amount of walls.
When I re-pair the FS20Z-1, I do receive a pretty good response.  It is later, when the switch has been off for a while that I get the connectivity issues.  For example, I have the rule set to turn on my pool pump at 6am and go off at 2pm.  So, from 2pm until the next morning, the switch is inactive.  I am thinking perhaps the Linear switches don't have some sort of continuing talk with the A+ while is is off (if there is such a thing).  I was under the assumption the need for a neutral wire was to keep the device talking with the A+, even when off.  Yes?

The Linear Switches I have in my home I don't have the same issue.  Perhaps it is a thing with the A+ communicating through a wall, outside across a small patch of my backyard, and then through a wall?

The whole "mesh network" and "repeaters", it is very frustrating not knowing if they are all doing their jobs.  That is a GREAT idea to have some sort of way to view all of your devices and see what their "communication" status' are.  Securifi...are you listening??  :-)

Thanks again Fillibar.  I love knowing their are others who sort of "geek" out on this stuff.  My wife doesn't completely "get it", or better yet, she doesn't quite see the need for all of this stuff.  But as I see it, it is better that I "tinker" around the house on stuff like this then be in a bar somewhere :-o

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:48 pm »
My wife does not get it at all but she is OK as long as I do not get "too crazy". Plus she does appreciate being able to turn a light on when we go out and being able to check on things a bit. I think if I sat down and figured out a specific "killer use" for her she might be more impressed...

Well, hoping to help. It lets me try stuff out, gives me an excuse to play, etc...

To my knowledge the neutral IS so a device can communicate at will. Most devices that are powered (not battery) also act as repeaters so they are supposed to be active all the time just in case "somebody else" needs to talk through them. INTERESTINGLY, the manual for the FS20Z does not mention being a repeater. Compared to the Linear WD500Z (which does have one mention) it also does not appear to support a SUC (Static Update Controller) providing it routes. Makes me wonder if the FS20Z is an older design.

I think a cool implementation of monitoring the mesh network would be a tablet based one. Make an app that uses a USB dongle for Z-Wave and/or ZigBee support. Pair it to your controller. Then monitor signal strength as you move around the area. Best would be to allow even a simple floorplan to be entered into it (heck, allow it to import just a floorplan IMAGE as the background). Then as you stop at a point it gets the readings and marks the spot on the image. Have it record any repeaters it was going through as well. Then do the same thing with the ZigBee dongle. Then to top it off do the same thing with your wifi. Color code each set of data and the person will have a rough map of their mesh and any dead zones (maybe caused by wiring, air returns, appliances...) that they can work around. Version 1.0 is 2 dimensional, but make version 2.0 be 3D. I think this would be awesome. Talk about a nice tool for anyone that wants to work as an installer. Couple basic plug-in repeaters and they could test out the whole layout for a house. Even just the wifi version would be cool in my book. Most of the wifi mapping stuff out there only works on a GPS scale of maps, rarely to a useful level in a house. Combining the three (and possibly more frequencies with the right equipment)? Awesome.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:50:20 pm »
I tried mine out just a bit ago to see if leaving it unplugged all day would make it "forget" but it responded in <1 second. I moved it a little further away from the wall to an open area in the garage so it did not have much around it if something went wrong. This puts it a a few feet closer but it has the 2 walls and more directly a car between it and the Almond+. At the very least the car is between it and the nearest repeater. It still worked. So I am going to leave it there a few hours then try again. If that passes it will sit overnight.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 10:12:22 pm »
About 3.5hrs later, still responds in <1 second. Will try again in the morning.

Offline jnowland

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:38:17 pm »
I happened to have my FS20Z on this evening as I had to add chemicals. When I went to turn it off using the app, it was a no-go. I logged on to the connect site and the sensor still could not be connected to. I then tried the actual Web UI and stIl nothing. Not until I used the A+'s touch screen UI was I able to get the sensor to respond, albeit it took several seconds to do so. I wonder if there is a way to extend the little antenna?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:39 am »
Antennas can be extended... But you would have to look up the formula for doing so. It depends on the frequency it is using. It also would void the warranty and the FCC certification on the device, to my knowledge.

Tried mine this morning. It took 5 seconds on the first switch then <1 for all the rest. I wonder if the FS20Z "sleeps". I will let it sit until tomorrow to see if 24hrs affects it.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:32:46 am »
Is it possible, you got a defective piece? I have that sensor and it takes about 2 seconds for update. I have wired it to an extension cord and connected it to my garage opener which is about 18 ft away from the almond and the nearest repeater(I assume thermostat CT101 is a repeater) would probably be about 15 ft.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:42:29 am »
A bad unit it ALWAYS possible...

The CT101 is a repeater if it is wired in with the common wire for power. If it is battery only, it will not act as a repeater (per the manual). At 18ft it should not even need a repeater. That is well within almost any device's range.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:21:33 am »
24 hours later my FS20Z responded to the app in 1 second. Further changes were <1. Not sure what else to try with mine besides putting it on a long extension cord and hiding outside somewhere.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck