Choose style:

Author Topic: Use as bridge without extending wifi?  (Read 7908 times)

Offline channel6

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Use as bridge without extending wifi?
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »
I already have a wireless network setup using another router. I want to use the securifi almond 2015 as a "receiver" for a PC without wifi adapter. In the FAQ on this web site, it says to use the range extended mode, and plug the PC into the ethernet jack.

Is it possible to use it as a bridge WITHOUT extending the wifi signal? In other words, I want the securifi almond to receive the wifi signal and forward it to the PC via a cable. I don't want it to re-transmit the wifi signal.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Use as bridge without extending wifi?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:09:37 am »
@ channel6,

In Range Extender mode, we can use all the 3 ports for wired connections, however, we cannot turn off the wireless. We can turn off the wireless completely only in Router/AP mode.

Offline channel6

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52:23 pm »
@ channel6,

In Range Extender mode, we can use all the 3 ports for wired connections, however, we cannot turn off the wireless. We can turn off the wireless completely only in Router/AP mode.

You can add the wireless bridge mode in firmware and make it not range extend.

Offline PortableTech

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »
This is such a simple feature that so many other products support I am baffled why Almond would not support it.  It is really simple, just make a Wireless Bridge mode where it connects to another Wifi AP without rebroadcasting and thus causing additional congestion on the existing channel. 

The way you are forcing people to do it now just causes additional security holes, degrades the existing wifi channe, and is completely unnesssary.

Please, Please, Please, put this on your list to allow us to disable the wifi repeater.

Offline Rahaman

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 12:46:48 am »
I already have a wireless network setup using another router. I want to use the securifi almond 2015 as a "receiver" for a PC without wifi adapter. In the FAQ on this web site, it says to use the range extended mode, and plug the PC into the ethernet jack.

Is it possible to use it as a bridge WITHOUT extending the wifi signal? In other words, I want the securifi almond to receive the wifi signal and forward it to the PC via a cable. I don't want it to re-transmit the wifi signal.

There is a way to stop that wifi signal but that wont be a permanent solution. After every reboot you have to put that command again.
Command - ifconfig ra0 down
Get the console of your almond using telnet/ssh then put that above command.
Or
You can use Web UI console also, just go to Advanced tab then you will see one Console tile, I think you already know that.... :)
(see attached picture for reference) 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:53:29 am by Rahaman »

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:34:54 pm »
This ever get done?
I really don't want to be broadcasting my wifi to the entire neighborhood.
I understand that you can turn it off with this command, but if the power goes out and I dont know then I am again.

Offline matt

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 02:45:39 am »
This ever get done?
I really don't want to be broadcasting my wifi to the entire neighborhood.
I understand that you can turn it off with this command, but if the power goes out and I dont know then I am again.

I know it's a bad solution, but you could add it to a crontab @reboot (with a sleep if needed), or to an rc.local/rc.conf. (I don't honestly know how accessible the A15 is, I haven't done hacking on it like I have for the A+).

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck