bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Newbie has two questions  (Read 3634 times)

Offline MessyHouse

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Newbie has two questions
« on: September 20, 2015, 03:36:33 pm »
I just set up my Securifi for the first time (and it's the original version, not the one that has mobile app access).  I have a couple of questions - I tried to search here first to see if they'd been previously answered, but I either used bad search criteria or no one's asked these before:

1)  I have my router set up with Access control.  I *was* able to add the Securifi MAC address to the list.  My concern is, will the Securifi require the same Access control to anything connected to it?  If someone finds "routerSSID_almond", for example, will they be able to connect because the Securifi already is listed as having permission?  (I see this as a security problem, if it does - I want my Access Control requirement to be required for anything connecting via the Securifi as well).

2)  I see in the FAQ and the Quick Start guide that the "_almond" can be removed from the SSID.  I'm not sure how I'd know if an item was connecting via the regular router, and which was connecting via the Securifi (in case of a issue I'd have to troubleshoot).  So if my router is named routerSSID and I removed the _almond from my Securifi, they'd both have the same routerSSID name, yes?  And wouldn't they both have to have the same SSID password? (I've been kind of assuming that, but I wasn't sure).

Thanks for your help!

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Newbie has two questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:48:15 pm »
@ MessyHouse,

1) Client devices which are connected to the Almond setup either in Range Extender mode or Access point mode, would have access to the internet, by passing the Mac address filtering because DHCP is handled by the main router and Almond has no control over it.

2) We would have the same SSID and password by removing the "_Almond" on Almond in Range Extender mode. However, in Access point mode, we need to manually type the SSID and password same as your main router.

Offline MessyHouse

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 02:01:40 am »
Hello, thank you for your responses, and I apologize I didn't make it clear I was talking about using the Almond as a range extender, not as a main wifi unit at this time.

So to make sure I understand:

1) because the Almond in range extender mode is basically "piggybacking" off the main wifi router, logging in via the _almond SSID still has to follow the same protocols, because it's not serving as its own router.  (A comment on Amazon.com wasn't clear - and now I suspect they set up the Almond as a standalone router, not a repeater).

However, I had to add the Almond to my router's "approved gadgets" list so it can connect.  So my fear has been - since the Almond is listed in the approved list, would anything connected to the Almond piggyback on that approval?  I'm probably overthinking...but I want to avoid my wifi being hacked by some neighbor who didn't want to pay for internet access.  (Okay, I'm thinking about neighbors like a specific old co-worker that used to tell me he'd hack his neighbor's wifi to visit "questionable" sites so they couldn't be traced back to him).

2) the main router and the Almond can have the same SSID/password and that doesn't hurt anything (I'd assume if the SSID's were the same, the passwords would pretty much HAVE to be the same).  So, if I logged into my phone in this case, would it only see one gadget or two with the same name?  If one, how do I know which one it's connecting to (in case I have to troubleshoot problems, for example)?  I'm guessing it would pick the one with the strongest signal.

Thanks again for your help.  The Almond is a very nice-looking gadget and fairly easy to set up.  (The only real problem I had in setting it up was "old eyes" - kept seeing a "B" as an "8" in my MAC address :) )  I haven't actually connected anything to it - other than to test its signal after the initial set up so I get add the MAC address to my Access Control list.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 05:28:57 pm »
@ MessyHouse,

1) Mac filtering is limited only to the main router, not to the Almond. To connect the Almond in Range Extender mode, we need to enter the Mac address in to the filtering list. However, that feature would not carry forward to the devices which are connected to the Almond. Hence, as long as you know the network name and password of Almond's network, we can connect any client device.

2) When we create the seamless roaming, all the roaming devices would see only one SSID and depending upon the signal strength we could find out which network the device is connected to and troubleshoot accordingly.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.