bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Aeon Labs ZW080-A17 Z-Wave Gen 5 siren AKA Feline Behavior Modifier  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Seven

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
This device isn't listed as compatible or incompatible, and I'd really like to use it to scare my cats off the kitchen counter when I'm not home. 

Has anyone gotten these working with the Almond+?

Offline Seven

Re: Aeon Labs ZW080-A17 Z-Wave Gen 5 siren AKA Feline Behavior Modifier
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:28:18 pm »
I bought the siren hoping for the best.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty disappointed in how it actually functions.

Almond+ Compatibility:

This is gets added to the Almond+ system as a functional, binary, 'on/off' siren.  It is very loud. 

The 'five tones' and 'three volumes' cannot be configured if included in an Almond+ system.

The only application for this device is an alarm. 

Vera3 UI7 Compatibility:

I was able to include the siren into my Vera 3 system.  UI5 handles it the same way as the almond+ (on/off '_applianceModule' with default noise & volume). 

The mios UI7, however, supports 'Device Configuration options'.  By changing one of the configuration settings (a rather convoluted process) I was able to change the noise and volume.

There are at least two disappointing consequences for this architecture.

1)  The device has to be 'configured' every time you want to select a different tone/volume.  It is not an 'instant' process.

2)  There is no straightforward programmatic means to trigger the different tones  (yet?).  It is not a simple matter to use this for multiple purposes.  (i.e. I was envisioning it as a cat trainer and a door chime)

Conclusion

Without some work done by Securifi (or Vera) to support the 'device options' configuration process, this will only ever be a single tone siren best suited to 'alarm' applications.   Even supposing eventual controller support, the lowest configurable volume is unpleasantly loud, and users may want to muffle it mechanically, or by adding an in-line resistor the speaker.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:31:12 pm by Seven »

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:02:39 pm »
This is sadly how most Z-Wave devices seem to work, at least the ones I've tested, regardless of the controller...
It seems to be a limitation of Z-Wave, or at least of how it's being implemented.

Offline Seven

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:11:42 am »
It's not an inherent limitation of Z-wave, but it's definitely the state of the technology.  I anticipate it working itself out as things continue to evolve. 

- Seven

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 11:40:25 am »
Z-wave use a generic "universal" protocol, so yes they will pair with almost any Z-wave hub. However if you do not have the proper device type drivers in the hub, you will not be able to use the device to its full potential.  Until Securifi ( or Vera in your case )  decide to bless the sensor by having the proper device drivers almost everything will pair as a simple on/off binary switch.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 17 queries.