Choose style:

Author Topic: Verizon Network Extender + Comcast Router + Almond  (Read 7024 times)

Offline btuch

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Verizon Network Extender + Comcast Router + Almond
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:16 am »
I received a Samsung Network Extender from Verizon to help improve my very poor mobile phone reception at home.  It works when plugged in directly to my Comcast/Xfinity router, but I need to place it more centrally to enable access throughout the house.  Therefore I'd like to hook the Samsung network extender in to the network through my pre existing and working Almond.  However, when I try to do this it fails.  All lights on the extender are blue except the Sys light which blinks red.  Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Verizon Network Extender + Comcast Router + Almond
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:03:42 pm »
@ btuch,

First, ensure that the Almond has got latest software version R201 and do a sequential power cycle, turn off Comcast Router, Almond and Samsung Extender then turn on only Comcast first once it is completely on then Almond and accordingly Samsung Extender, and check the status.

Offline btuch

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 05:40:59 pm »
Hi Ashok,

My Almond software version is AL1-R196-L299-W33, but when I check for updates on the Almond it says "Your Software is up to date."  Anything I can do about that? 

I'll try the sequential power cycle anyway and report back.

Thanks!

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:25:59 pm »
@ btuch,

We had a small issue with the server, which won't allow users to update the software via LCD. However, you may go through the link (https://www.securifi.com/software-update) which would give you the instructions on how to download and install the firmware through Web UI. Ensure to select Almond as the model, not Almond 2015.

Offline btuch

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:06:29 pm »
Well, following your instructions got my almond updated to R201.  However, a subsequent sequential reboot did not completely fix the problem.  My Samsung extender now shows all lights blue except the Sys light which is now green.  So that is a new development, but the extender is still not working right.  My mobile phone detects the network extender and #48 gives the expected result.  However, I can not dial out other phone numbers through my mobile phone, which is something that worked when the network extender was plugged directly in to the Comcast router.  Any ideas about that?

Also thought I'd note, in case it's useful, that I am using the Almond in range extender mode (not as a router) and that I am not quite sure which ethernet port that I'm supposed to use on the Almond to connect up the Samsung network extender.  Currently it's plugged into the top gray one.  I've tried others without success though.  Does it matter which one I use?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 08:36:13 am »
@ btuch,

In Range Extender mode, we could use any port. Could you please be tap on status and let me know the mode and connected status?

Offline btuch

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 11:56:13 am »
Mode is "Range Extender" and Connected Status is a green square.  It is functioning in other respects, for example my tablet is connected to the Internet through the Almond.

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:54:25 am »
The VZwireless microsite needs to have ports forwarded if you are working through the almond. I can't promise it will work through a wifi range extender, as those throttle speeds pretty significantly. Once I get home I can get you a screen shot of settings. FWIW, if you are  worried about the GPS antenna, once you have "taught" the box where it is, you don't need to be in line of sight with the sky unless power is lost. (*cough* UPS *cough*). Mine's in a closet. And even so, it works just fine without location services.

Offline btuch

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »
When I didn't hear anything more from Ashok, I decided to go shopping for a new wifi range extender.  Found a nifty little device from TP-Link (WPA4220) that runs the Internet through your existing electrical circuitry.  Plugged the Samsung network extender into it, let it do its auto-configuration and 10 minutes later was working perfectly.  As a bonus the wifi connection is now much better throughout my home.

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:20 pm »
Yeah I unplugged mine for good today. TPlink makes some nice products. Their archer C9 is 16 % faster for wifi  with superior range and hella faster for lan. Thanks for the ride securifi.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 17 queries.