Choose style:

Author Topic: Looking for a replacement. Separate Router and Hub Recommendations?  (Read 12382 times)

Offline gof

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
The continued lack of updates and seemingly limited options to keep my A+ going forward have me looking at options.  I'm having WiFi connectivity gaps, and with the limited "automation" options for the automation side, I'm thinking that while this unit "delivered", it's not what I had hoped it would be based on the KS goals.

So, I'm looking at what other options people have explored or moved into while waiting/hoping the A+ would strengthen.  I've seen good reviews of the TP-Link C7 and the Netgear AC1750 (R6400).  Those would both cover the WiFi router side.  For an automation hub, it looks like the newest SmartThings is doing well (wish I had stayed on the KS, I pledged, then decided to back off). Later went with the A+.  Bad decision in hindsight.

I don't need a see-spot-run interface.  I'm ok with scripts and code (and I've run Tomato on other routers in the past).  I mentor an FTC Robotics team so programming is par for the course.  But I don't want to have to babysit an appliance from day to day.  It should get set up and then just "work".

Offline obmd1

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Looking for a replacement. Separate Router and Hub Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 04:57:50 pm »
I have the TPlink Archer C7. I bought it to work with the Almond to fill in a hole in my house, but noticed a bigger range cloud for it than the A+. Put in it's place, the TP link box has improved range, speed and stability. LAN connections are MUCH faster, and connectivity for the WAN lines is more reliable. I'll also finally be able to do NAS through it, since it's supported. It talks about this "beamforming" which I think is bull, but am playing with it to see. The other router I would have considered was the Netgear nighthawk X8, but unless this TP lin kis a real disappointment I don't want to lay out even more. The range still isn't perfect for my application, but I'm not willing to spend that money to see if the Netgear box is better... yet.

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:08:44 pm »
The ISY from universal devices is very solid. Does insteon and zwave. Being worked on are node servers to integrate other devices like hue, nest and so on.
http://forum.universal-devices.com/

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:14:50 pm »
I've been playing with UniFi access points. Pretty slick setup. Buy a 3-pack from Amazon and you can cover any house size and a huge yard without issue. Handoff between APs is seamless. Note they have several models, with one being "long range".

Offline Schwartz

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:29:23 pm »
I ended up getting a separate router, hub, and access point. To route I got a Ubiquiti Edge Router X, for home automation I got a smartthings hub, and for Wi-Fi I got an Amped Titan-AP.

With everything separate if something takes a dump or doesn't work the way I want I can just replace it without having to dump everything all at once. I have more configuration flexibility and options with dedicated devices. If I want to upgrade or reconfigure a piece I can do it without disturbing everything in my network. If some new router, hub, or Wi-Fi AP comes out with something new that I want I can upgrade just that piece.

I have my router, hub, and modem out of the way in the basement and have the AP centrally located on the first floor giving me better coverage with fewer wires than if I tried to do the same with the Almond.

I think this is the way that I should have done things all along. An all in one box sounds nice but I don't think it is the way to go for me anymore.

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »
Hi all,

Is SmartThings really that great?  I am interested to hear opinions about Vera vs SmartThings?  Also, curiously enough, here in Southern California, i saw an Insteon kit (hub + 2 dimmers) at Costco for $99, in case you are looking for an Insteon-based system.  The wiring in my old house doesn't have a neutral, so Insteon is not within my reach.  I would really like to stay with Almond+ - it's a perfect system on paper, but wireless stability issues are killing me...

Andy

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 04:36:19 pm »
Also, over at OpenHAB, i think they are pretty close to figuring out the resolution to zwave security classes -> https://community.openhab.org/t/z-wave-schlage-lock-support/2341
When that's done, i think, openHab on raspi with Aeon stick will be a very cheap and viable alternative to whatever it is out there in HA space as well.

Andy

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »
Hi all,

Is SmartThings really that great? .

Andy

Yes, yes, and bunny YESSssssss. Jumped to V2 last night. Up and running with rules and monitoring in 2-3 hours. Four plugs, three flood sensors, two garage tilt sensors, and four switches with a siren and a harmony hub. The UI is SWEET, and the community is alive and vibrant with new apps and devices every day. Sonos. MyQ. ECHO. Cameras. Geofencing. Modes (more than two). And Customer service? Emails replied to within hours.

I'm KICKING myself for not doing this sooner. It's everything Almond wants to be, with an up to date chipset. Lightening fast responses, connectivity in seconds, no range issues (an actual MESH network that may in fact have never been with almond).

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »
@obmd1  - Nice!  Thank you for this encouraging review, i guess i am not going to look at Vera Edge any more...  Does st v2 work well with Schlage locks?  Can it also mesh zwave v5 with v4?

Andy

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:40:11 am »
Does st v2 work well with Schlage locks?  Can it also mesh zwave v5 with v4?

Andy
Yes yes and yes.  Depending on which of the 3 "major" Schlage lock apps you choose to go with, you can even set your lock touchpad to control other HA functions , send a push notification or text if the door has been tampered with or somebody enters and invalid code x times.  You can set temp codes, codes only good during certain hours and even single use codes all through the app.
There was a FW update to ST V2 last week that sent some Zigbee devices ( mainly GE bulbs and Securifi peanut ) over the edge, but the fix was pushed out within 36 hours. Made for some interesting Halloween posts about possessed houses though.

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 06:59:50 am »
Just a heads up that the SmartThings v2 hub in the UK has really limited device support. I have no idea why Samsung/SmartThings have done this, but I can't even connect a WeMo switch to one I'm testing at the moment.

Personally I can't stand their new app, not that the old one was particularly great, but that's just my personal opinion.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »
To be honest, I got a STv2 myself to test out and it is leagues ahead of Almond+. I thought having the ability to detect IP on connection would be useful, but then STv2 handles most of that well enough.

I am definitely not disappointed, and I think Almond+ is pretty good, but ST is leagues ahead. The kickstarter investment was definitely worth it, but I would never buy at full retail price.

One thing, I will say is that engagement in this forum went down after Lars left. I believe Ashok and the others are trying their best, but the fact that they are so constrained in their ability to engage that this will never be the vibrant community I thought it will be.

Offline Petermann

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »
<deleted by author>
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:49:17 pm by Petermann »

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 04:30:53 pm »
...The Almond + app is much more straightforward and easy to learn. However, since Samsung is a billion dollar company comparing Samsung to Securifi is an unfair fight and quite pointless to me. Smartthings will always have way more options, be more stable, be more polished and probably the first choice for most over Almond, especially the techs who like to go deeper, code their own things and tweak things to their heart's content....

I am all for rooting for the underdog, except, in this case, i paid money for the underdog's product.  So, from the perspective of a consumer, i don't really give a rat's tail about drawing comparisons between samsung and securifi.  I was promised a product, i paid for such promised product, at the end i didn't receive what was promised.  And as an additional slap in the face, i am asked to sign up for beta program to, under NDA, mind you, help test the beta features of this beta product, that should have been there in the first place.   As an additional kick in the gut, since there's no roadmap for releasing updates beyond 0.80, it's looking like signing up for the beta program is the only way to receive the potential alleged fixes for the wifi instability that lots of folks are seemingly experiencing here. 

.... Once the Securifi team solves some of the current bugs, polishes up the app/WUI, fixes the WiFi issues, adds support for a greater array and choice of sensors it will be an ever better product to me than it already is.   :D

I don't quite understand the consumer retention strategy of the securifi here.  6 pages of "DUE for an update!" thread should have signaled someone that something may not be right and people are frustrated.  While the mere existence of the current thread would have caused some heads to fly if this was on samsung forums.  Securifi success with their initial Almond offering gave their Almond+ KS some credibility.  I hope they figure out the Almond+ situation eventually, at least for my sake.  I really would like to recommend the end product to others.  However, i will be staying a long distance away from securifi future KS campaigns.

Andy

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »
However, since Samsung is a billion dollar company comparing Samsung to Securifi is an unfair fight and quite pointless to me.
You could say the same thing about Vera.

I don't want us to get all pedantic, but I see that Securifi has a niche that they can fill. I like the product and I have spoken with Ashok and team multiple times. They are extremely good and are genuinely interested in helping, no complaints there.

However, my concerns are with the latest design decisions and I have been quite vocal about them. For a product that needs to improve quite a bit, I have a feeling they are going backwards and that makes me worry.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.