Choose style:

Author Topic: Ideas for low volume alarm/siren alert setup?  (Read 6681 times)

Offline Petermann

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Ideas for low volume alarm/siren alert setup?
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:46:31 pm »
I'm trying to find a solution for a friend who I've helped set up a Almond + router HA system. We've set up the "Home" and "Away" mode that's triggered by his cell phone coming to the house and leaving the house. We now want to set up a one-touch alarm-type scene for when he goes to bed. The idea is to "arm" the sensors so that they will send an alert when tripped and wake him up while sleeping. We're looking for some sort of alarm/siren that is not screaming loud. The two siren's listed in the list of compatible sensors - Almond+ 2014 are the "Everspring SE812" and the "Utilitech TSE07-1" but they both seem to be in the range of 85 to 100 decibels--much too loud for what we're looking for. Also, during the night the phone is automatically set on "do not disturb" mode which silences any alerts from the Almond app, so looking to trigger some device that is more like a chime and/or a siren that has adjustable volume.

One thing I thought of was to set the door and motion sensors to trigger a smart-plug ON when somebody trips the home defense sensors. Then I could plug something into the smart-plug that sounds like a chime with blinking lights that would wake up the person in the room gently but not the neighbors, and also not be ear-splittingly loud.

Does anybody have ideas or has anyone set up something similar to what I'm describing?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:55:41 pm by Petermann »

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Ideas for low volume alarm/siren alert setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:21:54 am »
You can modify a stock Everspring to have a different siren if you want to do a little soldering.

Using a smart plug to turn anything on will work, that's a quick and easy solution.

Setting an event to switch lights on and off is also easy. I have programmed a Hue bulb to change to red and flash on and off when a certain door sensor is tripped.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline Petermann

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:33:15 pm »
You can modify a stock Everspring to have a different siren if you want to do a little soldering.

Using a smart plug to turn anything on will work, that's a quick and easy solution.

Setting an event to switch lights on and off is also easy. I have programmed a Hue bulb to change to red and flash on and off when a certain door sensor is tripped.

Thanks, SecureComp, I like the idea of programming a Hue bulb to change red and flash, do you have a link for the model you use?

Not sure if I want to open up the siren and solder it, I will probably go the route of the smart plug. Do you have any suggestions of something to plug in? I was thinking of a clock radio or one of those white noise/baby sleeping machines but it's still not exactly what I'm looking for. Would like to find something that has music as soon as it's plugged in, or some has some kind of chimes like a doorbell. 

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:22:25 pm »
The Hue Multicolor Bulb is what I have used in a couple places. Picked it up at Home Depot.

A device to generate sound is entirely up to you, quiet, loud, soft, startling, shocking, lots of stuff out there.

There's probably an easy hack for adjusting the sound level on the Everspring, just haven't looked at the circuit board yet.

For $25 you can get one of those old bell ringers for a telephone system. There are also the systems used to let blind folks know they have a call or deaf folks notified with a flashing light.

Lots of other options.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=215
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-AC-110V-120dB-MS-190-Alarm-Sound-Motor-High-Power-Buzzer-Siren-/231334796589
http://www.edwards-signals.com/index.cfm?Level=39&PG=2
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline Petermann

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 08:36:41 pm »
Thanks a lot man!  8)

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck