Choose style:

Author Topic: Aeon Labs ZW056 Doorbell tested with Almond+  (Read 5041 times)

Offline Darwin

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Aeon Labs ZW056 Doorbell tested with Almond+
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »
Just in case anyone here is interested, I did an initial test of the new Aeon Labs Aotec Z-Wave ZW056 doorbell with the Almond+.

The Z-Wave doorbell speaker/siren, which is the Z-Wave enabled component of the doorbell paired fine as a siren and appeared to respond appropriately to remote triggers, however when the doorbell itself is pressed triggering the speaker/siren, the Almond+ would rarely trigger rules or notifications.  I suspect the issue may be that the Almond+ misses what may be a very brief state change trigger by the doorbell. It looks like this device will work acceptably as a siren with the Almond+, but not currently as a smart doorbell. Just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else is considering this doorbell - and to make Securifi aware of it.

For anyone interested, I posted a summary of my initial impressions of the doorbell here: http://darwinsden.com/aeon-labs-doorbell-review-aotec-zw056/

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Aeon Labs ZW056 Doorbell tested with Almond+
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:18:17 am »
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
If it is a trigger timing threshold thing, should be able to make some adjustments.

Might consider sending some logs to Securifi for review.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline Darwin

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:26:19 pm »
I went back a re-tested this doorbell with R083, and it seems to be working for me now. To ensure that the Almond+ receives a notification when the doorbell button is pressed, you need to change the doorbell device "send notifications" parameter 80 (1 btye) from 0 (nothing) to 1 (hail CC) or 2 (basic CC report). I don't know why Aeon Labs has this off by default. I'm not sure if R083 actually improved anything, or if just happened to get the configuration parameters set correctly this time.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 07:11:08 pm »
I'm not sure if R083 actually improved anything, or if just happened to get the configuration parameters set correctly this time.

Well we now have the ability to adjust parameters, so that helps.  8)
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:49:25 am »
Can you set up different tones? Or is it all one tone? Thanks!

Offline Darwin

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:08:25 pm »
Can you set up different tones? Or is it all one tone? Thanks!
It has several included MP3 files to choose from, and you can add up to a total of 100 to its flash memory via its USB port. It doesn't appear that the Almond supports playing different MP3 files under different conditions, but you can choose which default ringtone you would like to play via the Almond+ device configuration panel (parameter 5) or via the doorbell speaker buttons.

Parameter 6 allows you to select a specific ringtone to play and I know that least with the Vera, you can customize the speaker to play any MP3 under any condition. It doesn't look like it would be a heavy lift to get the capability added to the Almond+ so that you can play custom water leak, garage door open, etc alerts, in addition to a doorbell chime/message.

Initial review and links to engineering/dev specs here: http://darwinsden.com/aeon-labs-doorbell-review-aotec-zw056/

Offline ZackG

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:23:15 pm »
Sorry to drag up an old post, but I started looking into a zwave speaker/chime system, and thought I'd see if anyone else has gotten different chimes to work with this.  I'd be interested in triggering different chimes, depending on which door opens/closes. 

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 17 queries.