Choose style:

Author Topic: VPN on Almond+ not working with Samsung Galaxy Note 3  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Richel

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
VPN on Almond+ not working with Samsung Galaxy Note 3
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:09:31 am »
I just inherited my wife's Samsung phone, when she upgraded to another one. I had been using Google Nexus 4. I cannot get VPN to work with the Samsung, while it did work with the Google phone. Neither PPTP nor IPSec works. Does anyone have a Samsung phone and have VPN working on the Almond+?

Thanks,
Elliott

PS: Happy Thanksgiving.

Offline Richel

• Beta Testers
Re: VPN on Almond+ not working with Samsung Galaxy Note 3
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:49:58 am »
So, this is really flaky. I am in an airport lounge connected to WiFi. I can now connect with my Samsung phone to my Almond+ VPN, but I cannot connect with my laptop computer - very frustrating.

Offline multisystemelectronics

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:16:16 am »
Almond+ is a bargain for those who want an acceptable Wi-Fi router with a touch-screen interface, but also have a hankering to control their castle. However, it comes up a little short both as a router and as a smart home hub. Its Wi-Fi throughput is just above average, and compared with dedicated hubs like the Quirky Wink or the Staples Connect, its smart home controls are limited. Still, the ability to turn electrical items on and off on the spur of the moment from your phone makes the Almond+ the future of Wi-Fi routers.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:13:50 pm »
The "flaky"'ness of your VPN experience is likely not related to the Almond+.

If you are able to connect a device to the VPN on one WiFi network but not a different WiFi network, the WiFi network in question probably has some restrictions (firewall rules) that are creating problem.

In your case, if it works over an Open WiFi but not over Cellular, you may have some data restrictions enabled by default. (possibly roaming data or data saver or something of that ilk)

Similarly, if you can connect with your smartphone but not your laptop, both using the same Wifi network, then the issue is probably not the Almond+ but rather the VPN software on the laptop.  An example of this is IOS devices using IOS 9.x have all sorts of issues with IPSec VPN's and have since last fall.

Try setting up a different type of VPN on the A+ and see if that makes a difference.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck