Choose style:

Author Topic: Writing off my purchase and buying a real router  (Read 4489 times)

Offline syxbit

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Writing off my purchase and buying a real router
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:55:39 am »
I'm writing off my purchase. Even at the kickstarter price of $100, this was a huge waste of money. The hardware has potential, but the software/firmware is still alpha quality.
Even as a basic router, it failed for me. And I'm not even talking about the failed promises of sensor support...
Promises of updates, improvements, features, stability, and even a platform overhaul to a new linux kernel... and after over a year, nothing. The 5Ghz band is still unusable.

For the last 8 months, I'd downgraded to my old 802.11n router. Stable 'n' is better than unstable 'ac'. I put off buying a new router hoping that you'd finally figure stuff out.
Enough waiting. I decided to buy a real router. An Asus RT-AC88U. Newegg had it for a great price last Black Friday, so I cut my losses. I think people here would have just preferred honesty. Admit that you're not going to do anything. Admit that you've given up. Admit that you can't get the Cortana stuff stable. Then  people could move on rather than continue to hope.

I knew there was risk with a Kickstarter project... But to think you're now selling this alpha product on Amazon.......
I'm out.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Writing off my purchase and buying a real router
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 11:22:13 am »
I watched the 50% off sale on Amazon last week and had to wonder if it wasn't a cry for quick cash by Securifi or Amazon trying to dump their inventory. Either they had a LOT of inventory to get rid of, or it was a failure. 4 hours at $150 for A+ and 0% sold. I think the original almonds were $59 and 8% sold. A2015 $69 and 3% sold. Not positive about exact prices, but I'm close .

Offline rf134a

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:46:11 am »
I agree with you here. I've gone back to my trusty Asus RT-N66U. Just waiting for local dealers to get stock of the Ubiquiti AC-Lite before retiring the N66. Unfortunately, I've still got 2 z-wave devices that won't disassociate from the A+.

Offline jgates1

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:41:00 am »
@rf134a: Will the Ubiquiti work as a standard Router or is it purely an AP that will need a router somewhere? Price looks awesome for what it's offering.

Thanks

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut

Offline Petermann

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 02:25:41 pm »
@rf134a: Will the Ubiquiti work as a standard Router or is it purely an AP that will need a router somewhere? Price looks awesome for what it's offering.

Thanks

The typical Ubiquiti Unifi "Flying Saucer" is an AP, you will still need a router. Though Unifi does make a router which is not as commonly used. Most people I've seen have another router solution and use the Unifis as for the WiFi network but the are still APs, which makes it a little more expensive since you have to purchase a router as well. The trade off is their extremely awesome WiFi system which is completely controlled within its own separate little world, run by software you install on a computer in your network and a lot of people already own a router in their network.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:30:49 pm by Petermann »

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.

bottleneck