Choose style:

Author Topic: txpower not configurable?  (Read 15527 times)

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: txpower not configurable?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 11:34:02 am »
Simple solution, change to US, use the UK frequencies, problem solved.

It's not illegal to set your router to the US region, as long as you stick with the frequencies allowed in the UK.

Offline summat

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 12:08:11 pm »
Already tried that - was the first thing I did in fact when I initially saw this thread.

Sadly the channels available on US reg zone are 36-48 and 149-161.

Under channels 36-48 the USA-reg txpower is limited to 17dBm (vs 19dBm on UK reg zone), and UK reg zone only covers up to channel 140, and anything above channel 48 requires DFS, which is not supported by the A+ at all.

I've tried a few reg zones trying to find a zone that allows better output but I'm yet to find one.

Basically, with no DFS support, I can only *ever* use 36-48 in the UK. The UK reg domain on A+ only allows 19dBm on those channels. USA only allows 17dBm, Russia only 17dBm, and I've tried a few others - none I've tried to use give more txpower on channels 36-48.

If you've got any ideas on zones that might allow better txpower on 36-48, I'll give them a try but I don't hold out much hope....  :'(

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 01:12:51 pm »
Having been through a bit of back and forth with Securifi support about this - including a factory reset, and them testing on their own Almond+ units, they confirm the issue is to do with the driver for the wireless - regulatory info is baked into it.

They say that:
and
To be honest, that's less helpful than I was expecting (maybe I'm expecting too much?) - presumably they are saying this as the wireless driver we currently have is never going to be replaced to correct this issue, because they either can't or won't update it.

Not even a 'we're not working on it at the moment but its coming'.

Sigh.

Securifi was mistreated or mislead by the original chipset vendor imho. This is one of the symptoms of that relationship. Nothing they can do about it now after the buyout. There has been such an investment into this SoC, Securifi is hamstrung unless Realtek steps up to help out and the economies of scale/ROI just aren't there for a dated chipset.

Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 04:37:59 pm »
Securifi was mistreated or mislead by the original chipset vendor imho. This is one of the symptoms of that relationship. Nothing they can do about it now after the buyout. There has been such an investment into this SoC, Securifi is hamstrung unless Realtek steps up to help out and the economies of scale/ROI just aren't there for a dated chipset.

That doesn't have anything to do with the Wi-Fi, just everything else related to the Almond+...

DFS isn't supported by a lot of routers as 1. it's hard to do 2. it's not well supported by the chipset makers  3. it's hard to certify for.

As for using the DFS channels, it's highly unlikely anyone is going to come around knocking, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're right though, the US band doesn't support the EU frequencies, so you might have to try some alternatives.
This might help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B17.5D

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 24 queries.