bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Under Cabinet RGB/W LED Lighting  (Read 12777 times)

Offline barntacular

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Under Cabinet RGB/W LED Lighting
« on: December 16, 2015, 08:10:17 pm »
Very interested to hear details of anybody who has an RGB/W LED under cabinet lighting setup that works with the A+.  Specifically, I am looking for the following details:
  • Which RGB/W Controller is being used?
  • Is the controller also capable of dimming?
  • LED Light recommendations.
  • Any additional components required?  (Other than the Controller and LED Light Strips)
  • How is it powered?  (Direct Wire or Plug into Wall)

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Under Cabinet RGB/W LED Lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:27:32 am »
I have a Dresden controller (search Amazon for ZigBee RGB) that works on the LCD and in the App, but is not in Rules, Scenes, or webpage (yet). They also have a kit that included everything needed (I only bought the controller version because of parts I had around).
It can control either RGB or RGBW strips (I only have RGB).
It is capable of dimming.
The kit comes with a strip but I am using generic ones off eBay.
Kit has it all. Controller only requires LED strip(s) and power supply.
It uses 12v or 24v DC, so a wall plug (or similar) will be needed.

Fibaro has a controller also that works over Z-Wave. I do not have one so I cannot speak about it much. It does not come in a kit but is fairly similar otherwise although it also has a few inputs it can react to.

Hope that helps.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline barntacular

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:15:17 pm »
I have a Dresden controller (search Amazon for ZigBee RGB) that works on the LCD and in the App, but is not in Rules, Scenes, or webpage (yet). They also have a kit that included everything needed (I only bought the controller version because of parts I had around).
It can control either RGB or RGBW strips (I only have RGB).
It is capable of dimming.
The kit comes with a strip but I am using generic ones off eBay.
Kit has it all. Controller only requires LED strip(s) and power supply.
It uses 12v or 24v DC, so a wall plug (or similar) will be needed.

Fibaro has a controller also that works over Z-Wave. I do not have one so I cannot speak about it much. It does not come in a kit but is fairly similar otherwise although it also has a few inputs it can react to.

Hope that helps.

@Filibar Thanks, that helps a lot!  One question - I would still like to have the lights output a standard white.  Am I assuming correctly that your set of RGB LEDs can do this and if so is it a decent light or would it be better to just get a set of RGBW led's?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »
I would recommend getting an RGBW strip. While RGB can produce a pretty decent white by color mixing, it is usually most effective with dense, combined LEDs and with a bit of distance to blend the colors. An RGBW lets you have white to begin with and then mixing in some other color if needed.

If you only want white... You could get a white only strip.

You could even bypass a controller and just use on/off control for it's wall plug, or if you want controllable color but do not need it controlled from the Almond, you could leave one of the cheap IR controllers after the ZigBee/Z-Wave on/off.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 03:37:22 pm »
What do you think is the least expensive route for getting one of each, color and white, LED strips working with A+?

I looked at the Hue/Osram stuff and it's pricey. Looking for something that is dimmable and maybe controlled by an outlet/peanut ?

thanks
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:58:56 pm »
If you just want simple, on/off lighting of a single color, use a single color strip with the power supply plugged into a peanut (or other controlled outlet).

If you want it fancier but do not need all functions in Almond+, with dimming/flashing/colors get an RGB or RGBW strip with one of the cheap IR controllers and remotes included. Put the power supply on the peanut, and keep the remote handy.

If you want the whole thing by Almond+ and do not need flashing or color fading (but want controlled color changes) go with a Dresden, Fibaro, or other RGBW controller. Kits can make it easier if a little more expensive.

If you want the whole shebang... It will be incredibly DIY, likely need a Fibaro and control over it's inputs, with a lot of complication and expense.

My opinion, for under cabinet lights, would generally be the first or second option. 3rd gets a little pricey in my book. 4th seems over complicated.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 06:55:34 am »
That is really just the LED strip, however they do have controllers for them that are comparable to the Dresden or Fibaro.

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:18:03 am »
That is really just the LED strip, however they do have controllers for them that are comparable to the Dresden or Fibaro.

No it's not, as it comes with the controller and it should work just as well as the Osram LED bulbs, unless they've done a Philips and implemented things differently.
http://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-73661-Connected-Lighting-Flexible/dp/B00R1PB80I

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 11:25:21 am »
No it's not, as it comes with the controller and it should work just as well as the Osram LED bulbs, unless they've done a Philips and implemented things differently.
http://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-73661-Connected-Lighting-Flexible/dp/B00R1PB80I
i need to try mine with the almond again to see if they are working yet. I know at one time something with the Osram strips was interfering with it functioning with the Almond. I think at the time Lars mentioned a firmware update added energy monitoring to them and they stopped working.

Edit: I was able to get it to pair with the Almond, On the LCD color temp was sluggish or didn't change at all. On/off, saturation, and color stemmed to work fine. At this time though the strip isn't working with the iPhone app. It show in the app like it is supported, but the controls have no effect on the device. I don't know if it will change anything but I have the Osram hub so my strip has the newest firmware on it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:37:36 am by Ohiomedic »

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:59:48 pm »
TheLostSwede,
  Just want to point out... the link you originally listed WAS just for the LED strip. The link you corrected me with includes the controller I was mentioning. It is the small whitish box in the center of the image. The strips themselves have no integrated control.

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 05:44:49 am »
TheLostSwede,
  Just want to point out... the link you originally listed WAS just for the LED strip. The link you corrected me with includes the controller I was mentioning. It is the small whitish box in the center of the image. The strips themselves have no integrated control.

Well, it's Osram's product page, they don't have any more detailed information than that, but as it mentions ZigBee and is part of their Lightify range, I figured it was obvious what it was...

Anyhow, not 100% sure if they work or not, but it's a cheaper alternative to say Philips.

Offline barntacular

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 11:44:51 am »
If you want the whole thing by Almond+ and do not need flashing or color fading (but want controlled color changes) go with a Dresden, Fibaro, or other RGBW controller. Kits can make it easier if a little more expensive.

This is the option I am looking for.  My challenge is that I currently have power hard wired under each cabinet but it appears that all of the solutions out there require power at just one end of the chain.  Is there a solution out there that I have missed that will take advantage of my pre-wired setup?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 02:30:36 pm »
Hmm... Just to make sure... you mean you currently have one switch that controls multiple outlets which have the sections plugged into them, or is each section hardwired directly to AC but still all on one switch? Or something else?

To be honest in either case it would be tough to control readily. You would need to run 4 wires (or more depending on LED strip) to connect each separate section together because there would be only one controller for the entire lot. They are pretty small though and should not be hugely expensive to do.

The easiest option as I see it (without running the wires) is replace the switch with one your Almond+ can control and then just plug the power supplies for the LED strips into the outlets. If you want colors NOT controlled by the Almond+ then leave the cheapo IR controllers. If you really want the color controlled by the Almond+ you are going to need to run wires to connect the strips together. Kits like the Osram one have the LED strips already cut into sections for easier use and connector kit options as well.

Offline barntacular

• Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 10:32:42 pm »
Hmm... Just to make sure... you mean you currently have one switch that controls multiple outlets which have the sections plugged into them, or is each section hardwired directly to AC but still all on one switch? Or something else?

My current setup is a GE Z-Wave Light Switch that controls four Utilitech 24-in Hardwired Under Cabinet LED Bars (found at Lowes).  The first LED Bar is hard wired with 14-2 Romex (black, white, and ground) to that light switch and then another run of 14-2 Romex goes behind the wall to the next LED Bar, and so on. 

To be honest in either case it would be tough to control readily. You would need to run 4 wires (or more depending on LED strip) to connect each separate section together because there would be only one controller for the entire lot. They are pretty small though and should not be hugely expensive to do.

The easiest option as I see it (without running the wires) is replace the switch with one your Almond+ can control and then just plug the power supplies for the LED strips into the outlets. If you want colors NOT controlled by the Almond+ then leave the cheapo IR controllers. If you really want the color controlled by the Almond+ you are going to need to run wires to connect the strips together. Kits like the Osram one have the LED strips already cut into sections for easier use and connector kit options as well.

Okay, I think this confirms what I was thinking which is that I will not be able to take advantage of the hardwired setup due to the need for the 4 wires required.  As you mentioned I could get the LEDs  that plug directly into the wall, but I was trying to have all the wires hidden.  Maybe I will drop that requirement or see if I can justify running those wires just to gain RGB.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.