bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Internet speed test difference between Cable modem/wireless router & Almond 2015  (Read 7164 times)

Offline CDW

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I purchased an Almond 2015 to extend internet and video streaming to our guest house. The connection will be via 150' of CAT6 buried with other video cables in conduit.  To test the Almond I connected it to my Netgear cable modem/router (rated for 300Mbps)using a 25' length of CAT5. My service is 100Mbps and I consistently get internet speed test results between 40 and 80 Mbps on the Netgear via wifi on my Mac desktop and laptop.  Connecting to the Almond by wifi the test results drop roughly in half on a consistent basis. I would not expect 25' of CAT5 to have any significant impact on speed. Does anyone have a suggestion or is the Almond simply a slower device?  I am concerned because I want to be able to stream 4K video from Netflix and Amazon and I'm told that I need a consistent 20Mbps  capability to stream 4K.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
@ CDW,

Technically, an extender would not be able to give us the same speed as main router. Reason being main router gets the full bandwidth with out any loss of signals through cable connection, however, range extender receives the wireless signals from the main router, resulting with the signal reduction of about 40-50%. As far as the internet connection speed is concerned devices which are connected to the Almond, it would be slow compared to router because client devices would contact Almond first, then Almond would contact router to get the internet connection and same applies in the reverse order causing delay in time.

On the other hand, if you have an option of using it hard wired at that location, then you can set it up in Access point mode, which could give you almost same speeds as your main router.

Offline CDW

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
As I noted in my post, I'm wired with CAT5 from the Netgear modem/router to the Almond 2015 and in the Access mode. Also at a distance of 75 feet or so, the Netgear S/N measurement is far worse than the Almond yet the Netgear equals or betters it in spite of the far superior S/N and signal level of the Almond. So, I'm at a loss to determine why the difference in speed.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
That is strange. I tested the speeds when I received my 2015 but only experienced minor speed differences. Have you tried a different jack?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
@ CDW.

Thank you for the clarification, you could try changing the channel and also set the security mode only to WPA2.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.