bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Quirky Tapt On/Off Wired Switch  (Read 3541 times)

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Quirky Tapt On/Off Wired Switch
« on: December 27, 2015, 10:48:30 am »
Received a couple Tapt switches for Christmas.

Recognized by Almond+ without issue and works just fine when controlled remotely. Only problem is that they are not recognized by the Almond+ when manually pressed. So if Almond+ thinks it is off, but you press the On button, the Almond+ will still show it as off.

Impressions... I am glad these came as a gift (and I know they were purchased on clearance). While they do not look too bad the overall design is bad in my opinion. Two buttons when only one is needed. One button to toggle on/off but instead they have two. Each has it's own status LED when only one is needed. This all means it looks like it could do more (replace two switches) than it can. The illusion is helped by the descriptions on the box. There is references to dimming... But only via the hub not the switch itself. Which is annoying and another failure of the design. It is dimming capable but not on it's own? I have other switches (with a single button) that handle it readily. Finally, the switching is not completely quiet. It makes a noticeable click when switched (not sure how it dims if it switching a relay in there). So in the end this was a $40 (retail) on/off switch (that dims remotely only) with too many parts. It is overpriced for what it is capable of. Mine were gotten on clearance for $15 which is more reasonable. However they are on clearance because they are being replaced with an (apparently identical except minor packaging differences) new version with a retail price of $60! No wonder home automation is not taking off.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.