Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond 3 announced  (Read 11857 times)

Offline jef152

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond 3 announced
« on: January 05, 2016, 10:48:44 pm »
http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/05/securifis-almond-3-is-a-router-and-smart-home-hub-in-a-nifty-single-box/

Given that this new router is 4x faster, it's likely not using the same type of hardware(and likely easier to update).  I think the Almond+ isn't going to be around much longer....

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
Re: Almond 3 announced
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:04:23 pm »
As long as integrates multiple controllers, say like the A+, I'm totally digging it.

Not to mention it comes as no surprise and I'm happy to hear it.

And now I can hope to pick up a bunch of used A+'s on the secondary market for cheap. ;D
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline mr23

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:48:46 pm »
http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/05/securifis-almond-3-is-a-router-and-smart-home-hub-in-a-nifty-single-box/

Given that this new router is 4x faster, it's likely not using the same type of hardware(and likely easier to update).  I think the Almond+ isn't going to be around much longer....

I hope Securifi continues to add compatible devices to the KS A+ model...

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:00:04 am »

If they have to focus their development team at coding for the new A3, I think we're screwed...

Some more technical details for the new A3 would be nice.  I see it will be selling for 120$.  It has Zigbee, Z-wave, bluetooth and an integrated siren.  And they say it's 4x faster than the A+.
Meanwhile, A+ is still 249$ at Amazon....

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:24:16 am »
@ All,

As some of you might have seen, we announced Almond 3 (our 3rd generation of routers) at CES. Its also an 11ac (AC1200) router and HA hub (ZigBee Only) like the Almond+. And it comes with a built-in 90dB Siren.

We want to assure that Almond+ is going to stay front and center as we develop new and innovative features.

Z-Wave - We decided to remove Z-Wave from Almond 3 to reduce costs. Instead we will offer a Z-Wave USB dongle ($20) in key markets (US, EU, ANZ) through our partners. It will be Plug and play. You plugin the dongle and it will just work with Z-Wave sensors.

Bluetooth - It will be supported both on Almond+ and Almond 3 via a USB dongle. We're not sure of the timeline for the availability of this feature.

Mesh - It will be first launched on Almond 3 but Almond+ will also get this feature.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:08:43 am »
Securifi, hope you realize it might pay to reward your loyal customers with some information about such things first OR at least at the same time. It seems embarrassing that a forum member would see it first in an article elsewhere. What about in the blog? Heck we even asked about CES. I did just notice that it is showing up on securifi.com.

That being said... The Almond 3 sounds interesting. The branding is bad (I would have gone with 2016) as you have officially muddled the lines... Almond, Almond+, Almond 2015, now Almond 3 (which is clearly based on the Almond and Almond 2015 lineage).

Feedback (based on Techcrunch article):
1) Why white versus the original black devices? Will there be color offerings or a cover available?
2) I only see one USB port and it looks like a 2.0. Is there more on the other side? Did Securifi consider 3.1 and the new port?
3) Related to 2... Hopefully there is more than one port. If there is only one, it limits options for Z-Wave, Bluetooth or storage... Choose only only, unless you will also support hubs.
4) Siren...OK. Can you strobe the screen backlight at the same time? I live near Rochester, NY which has a substantial deaf population (due to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf located at RIT). Sirens do not help them but flashing lights do. The backlight should be able to be linked (if desired).
5) When are we going to see Rule creation in the App? That may just be a made picture... But it looks like a screenshot!

I assume the 4 times faster is faster than the Almond 2015 (not Almond+). What about memory, etc...

Any beta testers on here that can now talk about it as it has come to light?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:13:27 am by fillibar »
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline sfalc

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:22:22 am »
I would imagine that LUCI and all Home Automation are common on a sorce code level to
a large extent. Particularly the high level stuff such as rules, compatible devices etc.
So I think that it won't affect the HA parts other than in a positive direction. 
Almond+ with 2 dimmer switches, 2 binary on/off switches, 1 Qubino Flush dimmer, 1 Aeontec micro dimmer, 1 Fibaro Dimmer 2, 1 Lightify RGBW bulb, 2 Lightify Flex RGBW Led strip, 1 WeMo Bulb, 1 Fibaro magnetic door sensor, Vision PIR & temperature sensor.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:27:40 am »
I presume by "mesh networking" we're talking about seamless handoff between wireless APs? If so, this is a killer feature and one that definitely adds to making the long road to A+ full functionality worth the wait.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:43 am »
@grouter Ashok mentioned that it is in fact that another forum posting and that was the general consensus.

I think the name change makes sense, almond 2015 is outdated on 1/1/16 but almond 3 stays current for longer.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 11:00:47 am »
Some pointed thoughts as usual and many good points. I'm not in the least bit offended knowing the whirlwind of activity getting ready for and rolling out at CES. Definitely can be a hectic time, products are never far along enough, Marketing folks making promises that the Tech folks have to deliver. Last minute fixes, demos, media, scoping out the competition, it's a busy busy time.

Securifi, hope you realize it might pay to reward your loyal customers with some information about such things first OR at least at the same time. It seems embarrassing that a forum member would see it first in an article elsewhere. What about in the blog? Heck we even asked about CES. I did just notice that it is showing up on securifi.com.
It's is generally unwise to spill the beans prior to CES or you lose any 'punch' in the hyped media highlights coming out of CES. Besides, the writing has been on the wall for a while now.

That being said... The Almond 3 sounds interesting. The branding is bad (I would have gone with 2016) as you have officially muddled the lines... Almond, Almond+, Almond 2015, now Almond 3 (which is clearly based on the Almond and Almond 2015 lineage).

Almond 3 works for me, locking your product into a "year" is soooo Windows98.  ;D

Feedback (based on Techcrunch article):
1) Why white versus the original black devices? Will there be color offerings or a cover available?

All my residential installs wanted white. Looks more in place as an appliance when mounted to the wall. Some of my folks have them mounted in the kitchen, others the study/library, still others in the hall upstairs. None of them wanted black or the other color options. I do like the idea of a snap on color cover but not at the expense of cooling issues or possible damage to the internals. An over cover would work.

2) I only see one USB port and it looks like a 2.0. Is there more on the other side? Did Securifi consider 3.1 and the new port?
3.1 would be slick but I'd want a legacy 2.0 port for sure

3) Related to 2... Hopefully there is more than one port. If there is only one, it limits options for Z-Wave, Bluetooth or storage... Choose only only, unless you will also support hubs.
An excellent point and I certainly hope it can handle 2/3 usb connections as I would absolutely want ZWave, Bluetooth and Storage
4) Siren...OK. Can you strobe the screen backlight at the same time? I live near Rochester, NY which has a substantial deaf population (due to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf located at RIT). Sirens do not help them but flashing lights do. The backlight should be able to be linked (if desired).
A cool idea. Not sure it would be attention getting enough.  BTW, flashing the lights is easy enough to do and makes me think it would be a nice app option based on any number of triggers.
5) When are we going to see Rule creation in the App? That may just be a made picture... But it looks like a screenshot!
Going to be a nice feature when it arrives. Hasn't been high on my wish list because personally but it will be a nice option.
I assume the 4 times faster is faster than the Almond 2015 (not Almond+). What about memory, etc...

Any beta testers on here that can now talk about it as it has come to light?
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 12:32:39 pm »
@SecureComp:
  You are an installer? Just a hobbyist here. My coworkers keep trying to convince me that it would be something to get into. Really dream of being a professional beta tester.  :)

Anyways, understand they do not want to pre-release, that is why I mentioned same time (first for me meant same day, but first crack at it).
3 vs year... I guess as long as they stick with one. Hopefully the next is not Almond 2017.
White to me is as bad as the blue LEDs that have become synonymous with tech. Or stainless steel appliances... Agree that any cover cannot be at the expense of functionality. On a related note, white should be able to be dyed for those that are truly desperate.
I could go with a legacy 3.0 or including an adapter, but I get your point for the USB.
Flashing lights can be done simply enough. If on, off, maybe with a delay... But I figured this would just be another direct value add to the device itself (kind of like adding the expense of the siren, but an already sunk cost).
Added feature request... Set a series of blank color LCD screens that can be triggered, or better make it programmatic single color. I want flashing red, or blue, or slow "breathing" green when it is all good, or a simple white nightlight, etc...
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:51 pm »
@ All,

We also started taking Pre-Order notifications, any one who is interested then please do sign up at https://www.securifi.com/

Offline mr23

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 07:06:44 pm »
Think of all the web hits they'd get if they had named it the Almond Model 3, Securifi Model 3, or just Model 3 for short.

Offline JesseD

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 08:01:43 pm »
Way more interested in the TP Link that is an AC1900 and has both ZWae and ZigBee.....

Offline Shazster

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 08:29:01 pm »
Without trying to sound cranky as I do like my Almond+ and my Almond 2015 (translation: I have yet to hit my "bunny these guys! I'm done." moment of not-zen. See: any DLink product), I do think that we are owed some sort of specific time line of support, and update path for the other products in their line . And it should be on their website, where the world can see it.
I like Securifi, I like the effort they put in support...but at the end of the day, I am a consumer, they are a vendor, and I trust commitments I see in writing.

As far as dropping zwave...too bad. I bought the + specifically for that. The dongle is a nice upgrade gizmo, though and price point is better than a z-stick, so while I would like to bunny about that...I really can't.

But the press info has lead me to some other questions...like since my Almond+ has zigbee, do I have any real need for my hue hub taking up a valuable ethernet port, or can I pair hue bulbs directly to the Almond+ & 2015 and "cut out the middleman"? Secondly, is adding bluetooth connectivity to my Almond (s) as simple as plugging in any old aftermarket bluetooth dongle into a free USB port? And then I guess, what would I use that connectivity for?

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck