bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Outdoor temperature sensor  (Read 7220 times)

Offline Hamhel

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Outdoor temperature sensor
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:38:01 am »
I search for a outdoor temp sensor.
I use in the past aeon multisensor  4\1 but the life battety and fiability is bad in cold condition.

Best way will be a sensor indoor with exterior probe but I don't find anything  ???

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Outdoor temperature sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:01 pm »
Battery life will be problematic no matter what, especially if it gets very cold. Your other option is to get another sensor that has temperature (such as a door or motion detector) that regularly sends it's status. Put that in an outdoor enclosure. Waste of a feature (the door or motion) but it is something I am doing myself just to get a general temperature reading.

However even "regular" ones are not on a perfectly defined schedule (at least not on the two items I have). If you find a pure temp sensor or one with an external problem like you mentioned make sure to post about it.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:26:01 pm »
I've have the monoprice motion detector which also displays the temperature. I have it on the side of the house next to my garage door, so it's protected by the overhang of the house. It's been up for a year and still on the same battery. The temperature seems to read about 2-5 degrees off from weatherbug. The other day it read -0.2 when weather bug said it was 4 degrees out. The temperature seems to update about every half hour. Only thing not working is battery level still reading 100%, I haven't tried to remove it and re-add it to see if that would fix it.

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:08 am »
I'm not sure if the Fibaro door sensor supports temperature readout with the Almond+ yet, but if it does, you can connect wires to the screw terminal and then solder the temperature sensor to those wires. That would allow you to place the temperature sensor outside, while keeping the door sensor indoors.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:37:27 am »
The external wires allow temperature readings on the Fibaro? That is pretty interesting. Most of the (few) sensors I have seen with external terminals only use them for a boolean value.

As a note, my Visonic MCT-340 SMA door sensor reports temperature just fine. I have a couple if the Monoprice motion sensors that I bought purely for temperature readings. I saw people say they are not that great at motion and mine appear that way. Lots of false positives, even when pointed at the wall or a bookshelf. Good to know I can put one outside.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:39:59 am by fillibar »

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:34:47 am »
They do, but it's an optional purchase http://www.fibaro.com/en/the-fibaro-system/door-window-sensor
You need a DS18B20 temperature sensor. Should be quite easy to solder to some wires and weather proof it though, as it's a very small sensor and could easily be covered by glue or some kind of silicone coating to make it waterproof.
However, what you can't do, is actually fit it inside the door sensors housing as per their website, as it can't physically fit inside it...

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:10:48 pm »
Fibaro really does some interesting work. That sensor looks like it would be a handy way to accomplish this. It is too bad they are generally priced at a major premium. This sensor generally sells for $50.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 04:29:22 pm »
The external wires allow temperature readings on the Fibaro? That is pretty interesting. Most of the (few) sensors I have seen with external terminals only use them for a boolean value.

As a note, my Visonic MCT-340 SMA door sensor reports temperature just fine. I have a couple if the Monoprice motion sensors that I bought purely for temperature readings. I saw people say they are not that great at motion and mine appear that way. Lots of false positives, even when pointed at the wall or a bookshelf. Good to know I can put one outside.
I haven't had to many false positives using mine when it only turns on the lights with movement at night. During the day is a different story it seems to give either false positives or it picks up anytime a leaf blows across the yard.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.